Talk to me about fish breeding

KeriMc
Good morning,

I have 2 honey gourami that are desperately trying to breed but hte bubble nest won't hold in my 29 gallon tank. The male has been at it for days! WIll this cause him too much stress if the bubble nest doesn't form? Can I move them to a 5 gallon tank (all I have available right now)? Where do I get food to feed the fry (if it happens) and how do I package them for shipping if I decide to sell them? Is there a YouTube video that is recommended that I can learn from?

Thanks

Advertisement
Ghelfaire
Is there too much surface agitation? Is there a way to adjust the filter flow?
Or is it a tankmate issue?

Advertisement
jkkgron2
I would try getting some floating plants and a betta log. Both those things should help him keep the nest together. I would move the male to the 5g if what I said above doesn’t work. I’m not really sure on feeding, I raise endlers but they just eat crushed up pellets right away, I think that the baby honeys would need live food at the start.

NoahLikesFish
Put the sponge in just remove the filter or put a pre filter sponge on and deflect the flow of the filter somehow

Advertisement

jkkgron2
Put the sponge in just remove the filter or put a pre filter sponge on and deflect the flow of the filter somehow
Putting a prefilter sponge would be good. Even if you just leave the media in the tank there wouldn’t be any flow so it’d die off some. So basically keep the filter running and add a prefilter sponge.

NoahLikesFish
Also turn the filter as low as possible and get a piece of airline tube to deflect flow and get floaters and if you want, do this but In the 5g fill it half full add floaters heater and no filter just do wcs but be very careful with it then put the Gouramis back and add a sponge filter then grow the frye
To ship em you need a oxygen tank plastic bags and rubber bands styrofoam heat packs and a box

KeriMc
Thanks everyone! I will try to lower the slow on the filter some more and redirect the flow. I do have plants that cover the top of the tank (aponogeton ulvaceus) but not specific floating plants. The honeys do hang out in the plants as well. Tank mates are neon tetras and a bristlenose pleco. There is very little chasing or territorial squaring off that I have seen.

NoahLikesFish
The tetra and definitely the pleco will probably eat the eggs, I’d honestly move them to the 5 gallon for a couple days while they breed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SpasmaticAA
Replies
Views
Talzin
Replies
Views
Soli
Replies
Views