Tales From the Tank; The 10 Gallon Adventure

exypo

So I got a new 10 g. (actually old, but new for me), and got immersed in the never ending conundrum every fish owner gets in to when getting a new tank (or so I think). What fish will I put in it? What type of filtration will I use? What type of plants will I get? Oh… The great questions in life…

So what were the answers you say? Well, after careful consideration (several hours filled with anxiety, excessive happiness, indecision and no sleeping) I decided to fill it up with Mystery Snails.

“Why?” you may ask. Simple, my father decided to give some to me (just brought them to the door of my home one day). So I ended up with 16 beautiful Mystery Snails and an uncycled small tank with almost no time to fix it up and put them in. No pressure at all.

So I got to work immediately on the new super mini snail Paradise (overstocked they said, of course they said, send 10 of them back they said… But no one that has ever seen the eyes on a hard working father bloat up with happiness while giving their beloved “fry” a present, will ever reject it: see what I did there, I used aquarium terminology ;P Please don’t think I am a fish though).

For the filter I ended up doing a DIY overhead filter (looked quite good at the end if I am honest, just don’t ask for a picture). I used a 900 L/H power head. It ran amazingly well and didn’t create a big current, which I feared since the power head is quite strong for the dimensions. For the biological filtering I used some coarse sponge cut up into squares, and some sponge from my main aquarium to boost up the cycling, since I already had the lucky dwellers ready to inhabit their new home (I know it was still not cycled, but work with me, they are lucky inhabitants… lucky……).

I also used some elodea plants and fine gravel. At the end it looked awesome. It was a very snaily (snugly) place. I put 4 snails in my main tank and 12 in the new 10 g. So far doing great (no complaints by the dwellers in the suggestion box). Although I am still waiting to see egg clutches (so I can start complaining on too many egg clutches being laid). Tank has been running for more than 4 weeks now. No deaths, water clear and parameters stable.

Now my father is very proud of his (thought where mine) snails when he sees them in the tank. In fact, he was so happy that he brought me 8 guppies to put in there (2 females came pregnant), but that is a tale for another time.

BigManAquatics

Yay snails! Guppies could be fun too

exypo

Yay snails! Guppies could be fun too
Stay tunned for "The Tale of The Sleeping Guppy" (that would have made a great user name...)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
BettaBoomer
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
  • jcollyard