Taking suggestion

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by j_hebert_88, Apr 6, 2010.

1. j_hebert_88

j_hebert_88New MemberMember

Hello everyone. Haven't been on in a while. Got an idea for another tank, not sure what size yet. I'd like to have a tank with some tiger barbs. What I need is suggestions for maybe tank size and tank mates. Its not happening soon but was just thinking about it. I already have a community tank, so I'd like something a little different. Open to any suggestions.

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

angel fish? they're pretty! i dunno what size thay need tho >.<

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Angelfish definitley ARE NOT compatible with Tiger Barbs. If you put those two together your Angelfish will get absolutley hammered by the Tigers.

Tiger Barbs are nasty pieces of work & I think they are best in a species tank. If you do want to look at tankmates then other barbs like Gold or Rosy Barbs can work ok with them or fast moving fish like Zebra Danios but there isn't a whole lot else. You could do a Bristlenose if the tank is large enough.

I think you would be best doing a 20gal species tank for Tiger Barbs or a 29gal community with other Barb species. You can of course use larger tanks if you want to.

4. Akari_32

i was just throwin' out ideas, sorry o.o'

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Nothing to be sorry about. Many people don't know that Tiger Barbs have a bad rep for being super aggressive. It just means you have learnt something new.:)

6. Akari_32

well i did kinda because a long time ago i was looking fo r buddies for my ADFs. but i was just throwin' stuff out there. angel fish just happened to be the first thing that popped in to my head (besides guppies lol those are always on my mind XD )

7. OP
    OP
    j_hebert_88

yeah I have had them before. At the time i didn't know what i was doing. Now that I know more I'd like to try again. I always thought that they were a pretty cool little fish. Thanks for the suggestions. If you have anymore ideas or suggestions please feel free to let me know.

8. OP
    OP
    j_hebert_88

Also what may be a good bottom feeder/algea eater to place with the? The tank more than likely won't be bigger than a 20 gal.

9. OP
    OP
    j_hebert_88

I also know that they are aggressive fin nippers. Its one of the reasons I asked for suggestions.

10. Akari_32

oviously something bigger, tho not much, and faster. what about a small breed of pleco? i dont kno much about them, but theres a few that max out around 5 inches. or a chinese algea eater (dont kno much about those either >.<)?

11. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Ive kept tiger barbs for a while, and a 29 is the minimum IMO. theres just not enough room in a 20 for the rest of the fish to hide from the aggression the dominant male and female will be doling out on a daily basis. i definitely wouldnt keep anything in addition to the barbs if you use a 20.

ive always had crayfish as bottom feeders in my tiger barb tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice