Taking An 8 Year Old Common Pleco From A 10 Gallon And Moving It To A New Home

Sarah73
Ok...so I have these friends that I didn't know had a fish tank. They are a common pleco that's 8 years old in there. The tank is a 10 gallon, so I talked to them. Long story short, I'm movin the pleco to my 60gal to live out the rest of his years. They had given him nothing but left over fish food. No veggies or anything. So I'm bring his home tomorrow and making him happy with my two female plecos.
20180421_151411.jpg
20180420_225110.jpg

Jay Chen
How big is he? Probably stunted though.

Bithimala
Poor thing. Hopefully he'll do well with you!

goldface
Wow! 8 years is quite a long time. Good thing you got him a forever home to live the rest of its life. Hopefully, it will be a long one.

AquaticJ
Wow! 8 years is quite a long time. Good thing you got him a forever home to live the rest of its life. Hopefully, it will be a long one.
8 years would be less than average (when properly cared for), but 8 years in a 10 gallon being fed left over fish food....wowzers.

75g Discus Tank
For some reason, fish seem to live longer in bad care than in good care.

Like there isn’t a video of a 23 year old goldfish that got a floatationdecoce, but the tank is so tiny and the goldfish is super stunted.

My goldfish get a 40,000 gallon pond and they just die off randomly.

goldface
I find this to be true as well.

Redshark1
I don't know, all my oldest fish have lived in my six foot tank (110g).

I hope the rescue goes well.

As you may know some plecos don't like each others company so beware as they can die of stress if chased around (in my experience).

Did you confirm it is a male? They can be more aggressive I believe.

I think it could still grow more as it isn't near the end of its potential lifespan.

Sarah73
Never got one reply. Sorry didn't get pinged. He's like a foot. Yes he is stunned. He's with me right now. Looks like a male
20180424_142539.jpg

Aqua Hands
Yea, and when I try to keep an angelfish in a 55 gallon perfect parameters and I do 50% WC every 2 day. $300 down the toilet (no I don't flush fish)

Sarah73
Yea, and when I try to keep an angelfish in a 55 gallon perfect parameters and I do 50% WC every 2 day. $300 down the toilet (no I don't flush fish)
No such thing as perfect water parameters

Aqua Hands
Sarah73
Haha. Btw he's doing great with the plump females

Fanatic
He should love some veggies and a larger tank!

Sarah73
He's not eating veggies yet. Hope the females will show him how to eat later today

Sarah73
Yes he's eating when I don't pay attention to him!. Yay him

Aqua Hands
Nice!

Sarah73
He's rearranging my sand! Everywhere. So many hills now. Just what I needed haha

Ulu
Years ago I kept a hi-fin pleco in a 10 gallon, and he lived in there for nearly 9 yrs and never grew over 3.5" long.

I was told this was a smaller species of pleco. Not so folks!

Most of his life he only lived with one Rio De Janero tetra, and he did not grow.

Then I put him in a big tank and he started to grow overnight, and within months he had gone to 9 in+.

He eventually grew to over 11 inches before he jumped out of the tank and perished.
++++++++++++++++++++

The secret about bad fish care and Longevity is this:

Bad fishkeepers kill off all the weak ones right away and forget about them. Then they wind up with one really strong fish that lives for 12 years no matter what they do to it.

I have proved this to myself over the past 45 years of keeping.

Sarah73
He's very happy
20180424_142601.jpg
1527261961198.jpg

Ms rose
aww so happy to see he did well! I want a pleco ( a smaller specie) so bad!!
your a wonderfull person to save this hansome man here. coodos to you

Jellibeen
Good for you! I hope he does well.

Ulu
I had a pleco in a 10 gallon. And I bought him he was barely 1 inch long and I was told that he would never get over 4-5".

He was in that tank 9 years and he never grew over 3 in long.

I fed him Algae Wafers and zucchinI plus whatever left over flake food my tetra did not eat. One day that tank started to leak.

I took him out and put him in a 30-gallon tank and he started growing like crazy!

Within 3 months he was six inches long and I was putting him in my 55. He lived there for several months more.

He was over 9 inches and at least 10 years old, when he jumped out and perished.

He had jumped out of the tank and landed behind it while I was out of the room and I never noticed until the next day, because he was constantly hiding and I rarely saw him.

20180217_223433.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Shadowfox118
Replies
Views
Lchi87
Replies