Taking An 8 Year Old Common Pleco From A 10 Gallon And Moving It To A New Home

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Sarah73, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Ok...so I have these friends that I didn't know had a fish tank. They are a common pleco that's 8 years old in there. The tank is a 10 gallon, so I talked to them. Long story short, I'm movin the pleco to my 60gal to live out the rest of his years. They had given him nothing but left over fish food. No veggies or anything. So I'm bring his home tomorrow and making him happy with my two female plecos. 20180421_151411.jpg20180420_225110.jpg

2. Jay ChenNew MemberMember

How big is he? Probably stunted though.

3. BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Poor thing. Hopefully he'll do well with you!

4. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Wow! 8 years is quite a long time. Good thing you got him a forever home to live the rest of its life. Hopefully, it will be a long one.

5. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

8 years would be less than average (when properly cared for), but 8 years in a 10 gallon being fed left over fish food....wowzers.

6. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

For some reason, fish seem to live longer in bad care than in good care.

Like there isn’t a video of a 23 year old goldfish that got a floatationdecoce, but the tank is sooo tiny and the goldfish is super stunted.

My goldfish get a 40,000 gallon pond and they just die off randomly.

7. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I find this to be true as well.

8. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I don't know, all my oldest fish have lived in my six foot tank (110g).

I hope the rescue goes well.

As you may know some plecos don't like each others company so beware as they can die of stress if chased around (in my experience).

Did you confirm it is a male? They can be more aggressive I believe.

I think it could still grow more as it isn't near the end of its potential lifespan.

9. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Never got one reply. Sorry didn't get pinged. He's like a foot. Yes he is stunned. He's with me right now. Looks like a male 20180424_142539.jpg

10. Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

Yea, and when I try to keep an angelfish in a 55g perfect parameters and I do 50% WC every 2 day. $300 down the toilet (no I don't flush fish)

11. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

No such thing as perfect water parameters;)

12. Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

yea, VEry closely then :p

13. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Haha. Btw he's doing great with the plump females

14. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

He should love some veggies and a larger tank!

15. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

He's not eating veggies yet. Hope the females will show him how to eat later today

16. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Yes he's eating when I don't pay attention to him!. Yay him

17. Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

18. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

He's rearranging my sand! Everywhere. So many hills now. Just what I needed haha

19. UluWell Known MemberMember

Years ago I kept a hi-fin pleco in a 10 gallon, and he lived in there for nearly 9 yrs and never grew over 3.5" long.

I was told this was a smaller species of pleco. Not so folks!

Most of his life he only lived with one Rio De Janero tetra, and he did not grow.

Then I put him in a big tank and he started to grow overnight, and within months he had gone to 9 in+.

He eventually grew to over 11 inches before he jumped out of the tank and perished.
    ++++++++++++++++++++

The secret about bad fish care and Longevity is this:

Bad fishkeepers kill off all the weak ones right away and forget about them. Then they wind up with one really strong fish that lives for 12 years no matter what they do to it.

I have proved this to myself over the past 45 years of keeping.

20. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

He's very happy 20180424_142601.jpg1527261961198.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice