Taking A Risk... Dwarf Gourami And Yellow Shrimp 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Brannor, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

I had guppies, bristlenose catfish and neon tetras with my 4 yellow shrimp in our 55G. But until we get another tank up and running (cycling...), we were starting to get a lot of fry... so in my 'infinite wisdom' I went to the LFS with my daughter and we get a Neon DG and a Flame DG...both males.

While they haven't appeared to have eaten any fry yet... and haven't yet settled on any pest snails... I've suddenly realised I may have put our 4 shrimp in harms way. Some people say they'll be ok...other's seem to say that we'll never see those shrimp again...

Well, I thought I'd post that I've done this, and see how many days pass before I truly do no longer see the shrimp during the day or night, or if they actually survive. It's 55G, somewhat well planted... so I really do hope I don't lose them.

At least we'll aim to not have 'shrimp killers' in our other tank...

Aj3tXVT.jpg

-G

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Your shrimps will be eaten on sight and two male.DG's will mean a war in the tank at some point. It is not taking a risk, it is aksing for disaster. Sorry !

3. OP
    OP
    Brannor

Day 2 and shrimp still alive. No conflict in face to face encounters.

-G

4. Professor Catfish

Professor Catfish New Member Member

I'm tempted to do this also... keep us updated with your hopefully ongoing luck.

5. OP
    OP
    Brannor

We haven't seen all 4 out at the same time since we went from 2 to 4. But today we saw 2 out and about all morning.

Then about 10 minutes ago. So one of them has moulted... did it get eaten...only time will tell.

COXMws2.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Brannor

Saw 3 shrimp last night and this morning - still haven't seen the 4th with the others in a while (since before the gouramis), so might have been the one that had 'pass out' fits when we first got it... or maybe it died... who knows, so many places to hide.

Anyway, in face-to-face meetings, the gouramis haven't shown any interest and have backed off or avoided. At worst they've taken an interest in the guppy fry...but still seeing a lot of fry around so...
    the one is doing his pacing a bit... but less so now. The other has settled well and seems to have claimed one plant as his own. Even in head-to-heads with some of the guppies, the smaller one backs down. Though the male bristlenose is bigger than either of them and has let the biggest gourami know who is biggest by giving him a little bit of a chase.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice