Takes weeks to get visible algae

Grace4514

So this might sound dumb, but I barely get any algae at all in my 55 gallon tank. I can go weeks without cleaned the glass and then I'll only get a few specks. Is this a bad sign? I have one nerite snail now, but even before I had him it was the same. I know everyone hates algae and it's a pain to keep away for most, but I'm wondering why I dont really have any at all?

StarGirl

How long has your tank been cycled?

Grace4514

At least 3 years

StarGirl

Wow that is strange. lol I really dont have a answer for that. I dont scrape my glass much either. Just my plants have specks of algae. I guess if you want some leave your light on longer?

TWiG87

I’m assuming you have live plants? If you do, you u have achieved a very good balance of light, fertilizer and bioload

Grace4514

I only have a small java fern and some hornwort but I've only had them like two months lol

Grace4514

I leave my lights on 8-10 hours a day sometimes it's like 12 if I'm not home in time

StarGirl

Huh that is weird. I bet most keepers would die for that....lol I would LOVE to be able to have my light on that long.

Donovan Jones

Could be too low of light for it to be a problem? Or maybe the water chemistry isn't conducive to algae?

Grace4514

Heres my lighting

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom