Take quarantine seriously, folks

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So uh. Turns out the value of having a quarantine tank/tub/bucket is not overstated.

To make a long story short, pearl gouramI had ich, ich medication killed tetras, could have been prevented by quarantining the gouramI for even just a week or so. I guess I've learned that lesson the hard way, in $20 of fish and days of stress. So, if you're new to the hobby and think you're safe to skip the quarantine because you can just treat the whole tank-- Don't. Invest in a $5 heater and filter and save yourself the headache.

I feel like it goes without saying that the next time I get fish, I'll be quarantining them safely for several weeks. SwI'm in peace, little guys.

TasselledWobbegong

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While having a separate quarantine tank available if need be is important, in the case of ich (and some others) I believe the tank should be treated as a whole. You might be treating and quarantining one off to the side while another pops up with ich the next day.
Cant say I have ever separately handled ich with quarantine, though I could have.

I'm sorry for your loss tho

OP
Lakenvelderin

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TasselledWobbegong said:
While having a separate quarantine tank available if need be is important, in the case of ich (and some others) I believe the tank should be treated as a whole. You might be treating and quarantining one off to the side while another pops up with ich the next day.
Cant say I have ever separately handled ich with quarantine, though I could have.

I'm sorry for your loss tho
Yeah, I just meant if I had put the gouramI in a quarantine tank the main tank would not have gotten infected in the first place.

Thank you for your sympathy and advice!

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting point about isolating new fish. I've never done it, but if you're less than diligent in your water change routine, I could see using one. Because the fish tank isn't as clean as it needs to be and less than pure water conditions can stress fish. Stress will affect the fishes' ability to resist infections. I've always kept healthy tanks that get lots of large, regular water changes and I've always used a little, standard aquarium salt in the new water. Some years ago when I started up in the hobby, I read an old fish book by some fish biologist. He said that healthy fish in pure water conditions were essentially immune from being infected by a parasite or virus and infections can't live in water with a trace of salt in it. After many years in the hobby, I've found this to be true. I'm very careful when choosing new fish and I maintain tanks that are clean. So, I have no need of a temporary tank to keep fish.

Old

OP
Lakenvelderin

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oldsalt777 said:
Interesting point about isolating new fish. I've never done it, but if you're less than diligent in your water change routine, I could see using one. Because the fish tank isn't as clean as it needs to be and less than pure water conditions can stress fish. Stress will affect the fishes' ability to resist infections. I've always kept healthy tanks that get lots of large, regular water changes and I've always used a little, standard aquarium salt in the new water. Some years ago when I started up in the hobby, I read an old fish book by some fish biologist. He said that healthy fish in pure water conditions were essentially immune from being infected by a parasite or virus and infections can't live in water with a trace of salt in it. After many years in the hobby, I've found this to be true. I'm very careful when choosing new fish and I maintain tanks that are clean. So, I have no need of a temporary tank to keep fish.

Old
My tanks are healthy and get regular water changes, thank you though :)

New Threads