Tail rot with bubble

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Qat, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Q

Qat Valued Member Member

I have a male cobra guppy in a 5 gallon tank by himself. He is active and eats well. I do weekly 75% water changes and my parameters are fine. A couple months ago he had a mild case of fin rot. His tail split in half but within a week it fully repaired itself, no medication needed. 2 weeks ago it happened again but this time he lost half his tail and it doesn't seem to be improving. There is also a small bubble, like a blister, on his tail. The rest of his fins are fine. It hasn't affected his ability to swim properly but I'm worried that eventually he will lose all of his tail. He has no other symptoms of disease. Please help!

2. SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy Valued Member Member

Does your tank have a filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there! Interesting username!

Agree with the above poster's question; do you have a filter?

What are your water parameters?

What test kit are you using?

How is he tearing his tail?

4. OP
    OP
    Q

Qat Valued Member Member

I have a Whisper 10 filter and use the API master test kit

5. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

He may be damaging his tail on a decoration in the tank. Make sure there are no sharp edges on anything.

I personally would treat with Pimafix and Melafix. Read the directions. I do one in the morning and one in the afternoon when I treat my tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Q

Qat Valued Member Member

The decorations could be a possibility. One of the fake plants is kind of sharp. I will try the Mela and Pima as well.

7. OP
    OP
    Q

Qat Valued Member Member

8. KarenLM

And take out the offending plant if you thing it is causing the problems.

9. OP
    OP
    Q

Qat Valued Member Member

Every time I try to post a pic on this forum it comes out small and upside down lol! That green grassy thing on the rock is rather pointy and stiff. If anything that would be the one. The other 2 plants are soft.

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's the settings on your device and you are holding it upside down.
    The forum tools will not auto rotate.

11. SilverMIssy

Isn't a 75% water change weekly a bit much? Especially since you do have a filter?

Maybe the fish is stressed from it and it's immune system is low?

12. BornThisWayBettas

Guppies have a high bioload, and so I wouldn't recommend keeping them in anything less than a 10g. But, given the OP's situation, clean water often helps many illnesses and is just good for the fish. Besides, I think I've been told before that it's hard to "overchange" your water.

13. SilverMIssy

I just thought it's more stressful for fish to be in an uncycled tank and 75% a week seems like a lot of benificial bacteria would be lost. But then again, I'm pretty new to this so correct my logic of its wrong.

Doesn't more stress weaken the immune system?

14. BornThisWayBettas

Beneficial bacteria does not live in the water itself, but rather the filter media and I'm pretty sure a very small amount will be in the substrate as well. Therefore, you don't lose your beneficial bacteria when you change the water. Instead, water changes remove things like nitrates, which can be harmful in high amounts.

Hope this clears things up. :)

15. SilverMIssy

That's true. But if water levels are fine wouldn't a 15-20% change be better? I was under the impression that large water changes are for extremely high level of ammonia or nitrites. I'm not sure of the levels in their tank now but weekly 75% changes when or if levels are normal seems still a lot to me.

16. KarenLM

Also, the risk with large WC is messing with the pH, temperature and unknowns in the water. Smaller WC don't affect the tank to the same extent.

17. BornThisWayBettas

Another reason why testing the pH of your tap and adjusting the temp of the water that you're adding to be as close to the temp in the tank as possible. :)

Also, in smaller tanks, I've heard that it's often harder to stabilize the water parameters. And in this case, with fin rot present, I'd say clean water with balanced parameters is extremely important.

18. SilverMIssy

1 guppy in a 5 gallon tank is enough to destabilize the water?
    Qat , what are your typical water reading levels?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  19. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The main reason for partial water changes is to remove nitrates from the tank. Ideally you want your weekly water change to be large enough so that just before your next water change nitrates are not under 20ppm (assuming 0ppm nitrates in tap water).

But partial water changes are also important because they replenish the mineral in the water that the fish deplete. Additionally, fresh water is well oxygenated which the fish appreciate.

20. f

fishfisher Valued Member Member

If you do decide to use melfix or any other medications read the label carefully for dosage and carefully read the measuring cup lid. I miss read and instead of healing them some of them died.... So, Please learn from my mistake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice