Tail Id / Sexing Question

1. EmiliaS

EmiliaS New Member Member

I've had my Betta, Jenny, for about two months now, and although I've been pretty sure she's female, someone I know who's seen her insists it's a male with short fins. I don't have all that much experience with Bettas yet so I can't say for sure, but I'm still convinced she's female. I've tried looking for an egg spot and while I think I did see one, she's just too wiggly to take a good look, and I'm not sure how prominent an egg spot should be. I've seen her stress-stripe pretty prominently as well, which I've been told males don't really do. I was also wondering what kind of tail she has, just out of curiosity. (Please ignore the ugly algae in one of the pictures)

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

It is a male non-HM plakat. Plakat means short finned or the "natural" fin type. You can tell by the body shape and length/fullness of his pelvic fins. A female would be very full in the belly area, and yours is not.

3. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Thank you! I guess I'll be changing HIS name haha!
    I'm curious about the stress-striping, though. Is that something males do too?

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Agree I see a Male Plakat.

5. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

You have one of the more "wild" colorations and I've notice, at least with my run of the mill plakats, that they get their stress stripes at the drop of a hat. While it is mostly apparent on females, males can and will get stress stripes.

6. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Thanks! The striping along with him being sold as a female is what made me so sure he's a female I guess! And yeah, he does get stripes really easily, even if something just briefly spooks him haha

7. PrincessBettafish

PrincessBettafish New Member Member

I have three females, and their egg spots are pretty prominent, even on my smallest girl.

That said, I love his colors! He's beautiful.

8. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Thank you! I wasn't really sure what I was looking for honestly haha. And thanks! I love his little stray blue scales especially!