Tail eater!!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Apr 13, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

I am having trouble with the salamander bf male I got a month or so ago. When he got here, I saw that he had been munching on his tail during shipping. I treated him then for fin rot and he started to get better. His fins started regrowing and all redness was gone. Then he started munching again! I was really worried about the bloody edges to his tail so I treated him again for fin rot.

Today is the end of his latest treatment and he is due for a complete wc and his container is due to be scrubbed out. Yesterday, all the red edges were gone and he is very active. This morning, he is missing a few more chunks of tail and has some ragged, bloody edges, but is still very active...flaring up at his neighbor as we speak! What can I do to stop him from munching on himself! His tail is more than half gone now!!

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

most deff looks like a bitter tail :(
    usually its from boredom....adding some air stones and different silk plants as well as dividing a tank to put him beside another, are a few things that will work...

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

that I can definitely do!

4. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

He wasn't biting during treatment but he did after his water change?
    It sounds like it's stress triggered (though boredom helps to). How do you do his water changes? If you "cup and dump" maybe using some tubing or air line instead and being "sneaky" about it might be an option....

5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

no he was biting again before I changed the water this morning...while the medicine was still in his water..I just now finished my daily wc's...I do all my wc's with clear water line in different sizes depending on which containers I am changing...the younger the occupant, the smaller the tubing..

6. bettaloulou

bettaloulouValued MemberMember

Thats so sad that he is biting up his pretty fins.

He is still a beautiful betta though. Hope you can figure out how to get him to stop that. :nono:

7. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

I think I have a tail biter too, but he has a silk plant and a cave, maybe I need to add more for him? He also has tankmates, but perhaps I should make it where he can't see anyone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice