Tail Biting?

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello guys,

I have changed my betta's aquarium recently. I think I transferred him a bit quickly. He was living with 7 rasboras and 1 bn pleco. Now he is solo. Old aquarium size was 57x23x34(h) cm new one is 40x40x30(h) cm. He has been living there for 20 days. But his tails started to look awful after 4,5 days in his new aquarium. I think he get stressed and biting his tail. Do you agree with me? Let me show you some photos.

Can you check 6. photo? I marked it with red circles. Is that normal these black dots. And what do you think about general situation? I am disappointed check my profile picture he has great tails. :emoji_rolling_eyes::emoji_confounded::emoji_cry:

I think that it is not a fin rot. Am I right? BTW I have kanaplex but I don!t wanna use it and I think it doesn't work for this?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg hisaquarium.jpg

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They all real. Maybe that dragon rocks but I'm not sure.

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WanhiBetta said:
Finrot doesn't generally look like this.... but it could. I would keep the water pristine with daily water changes and do methylene blue baths every two days for a week or two to see if it helps.
I have kanaplex, they say its very safe and effective for fish? What do you think about using it?

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think you could use it if you're being careful. Watch the fish after adding the medication and frequently test your water to be sure that your cycle is still okay. I prefer methylene blue because the medication is given in a separate container, but Kanaplex looks safe too.

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WanhiBetta said:
I think you could use it if you're being careful. Watch the fish after adding the medication and frequently test your water to be sure that your cycle is still okay. I prefer methylene blue because the medication is given in a separate container, but Kanaplex looks safe too.
Okey, I will be careful. I'll treat him for 6 days then I'll use atison's betta spa for stress relief. I hope he will be ok.

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today is last day of his treatment but tonight i saw that he was trying to bite his tail. so I have no doubt he bite his tail its not a fin rot. I think I got some company for him. I'm consider to get 5 ember tetras. What do you think about ember tetras and betta? He was living together with 7 rasboras before without any problem.

Frostu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's said that you can put Ember Tetras with a betta, yes, but at the same time, you almost might want to wait a bit. Since they are colony fish, they may attack your currently weakened Betta, and make it worse. If you have a separate tank, you may be able to slowly introduce them, but if not i'd say either float them or at least show them to him before adding.

How is your treatment going? Does he seem to be getting better at all? If not, i suggest trying the Aquarium salt method, where you mix in 1 TSP per gallon (For mild cases) and 1 1/2 TSP-2 TSP per gallon (For major cases). This is probably the cheapest and possibly most effective way to treat wounds, since it's only $3 for a 16 OZ Box (Which is actually more than enough for a treatment like this). I had a similar case with my current Dragon scale male, and he's getting much better with this method, so maybe it'll work with you too! I wish you luck.

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im using kanamycin antibiotic it doesn't work coz its not bacterial infection, I guess salt would ended with same result. He should stop biting to heal, nothing will work when he keeps biting. I don't have separate tank, I will introduce them slowly. I thing he will chase them when he get bored like he did before.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom