Tail Biting Betta

MuskieCatcher

Active Member
Member
Messages
169
Reaction score
17
Location
Ontario
Experience
3 years
So, I have absolutely ruled out fin rot as the reason my betta continues to lose his tail. Finally caught him in the act of biting it. Question is, how do I try to keep him from doing so? He has lost and regrown over 50% of his tail 3 times now. Tank params are 0,0,20, temperature is 79, and he is the only inhabitant in a 10 gal. Thoughts? Thanks in advance
 

_IceFyre_

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
937
Experience
4 years
Hello!
Unfortunately tail biting is an extremely difficult habit to discourage. I have a tail biter too and nothing I do seems to help. Does your Betta have a long tail? If so, he might be annoyed by the weight of his tail and there isn't much you can do in this case. If not, it's possible that he's doing it out of boredom and you can try to discourage this by adding/rearranging his decorations every once in a while or letting him flare in front of a mirror for a few minutes every day or so.
Good luck with him, having a tail biter is definitely frustrating!:banghead:
 

BReefer97

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,625
Experience
2 years
IceFyre1414 said:
Hello!
Unfortunately tail biting is an extremely difficult habit to discourage. I have a tail biter too and nothing I do seems to help. Does your Betta have a long tail? If so, he might be annoyed by the weight of his tail and there isn't much you can do in this case. If not, it's possible that he's doing it out of boredom and you can try to discourage this by adding/rearranging his decorations every once in a while or letting him flare in front of a mirror for a few minutes every day or so.
Good luck with him, having a tail biter is definitely frustrating!:banghead:

I
Have pretty much no idea how to use this site, and I've been trying to make a post to ask about my betta. He's obviously a crow tail betta, but I'm not sure if he just has stringy fins naturally or if I bought him with fin rot. Granted his fins kind of curled a bit from some mild stress, but I just can't tell if he's supposed to be the way he is?
 

Attachments

_IceFyre_

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
937
Experience
4 years
BReefer97 said:
I
Have pretty much no idea how to use this site, and I've been trying to make a post to ask about my betta. He's obviously a crow tail betta, but I'm not sure if he just has stringy fins naturally or if I bought him with fin rot. Granted his fins kind of curled a bit from some mild stress, but I just can't tell if he's supposed to be the way he is?
To create a new post, click aquarium forum, select a forum, and then click post new thread. Your betta looks fine to me
 

Levibeast

Active Member
Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
18
Experience
Just started
My betta was chasing his reflection non stop and one weekend he lost like half his tail to tail biting... and then when I added his tank mates he chased his reflection less and his tail has grown back. I think having tank mates allows him to not be bored. Maybe it will help! He is in a 10 gallon too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
M

MuskieCatcher

Active Member
Member
Messages
169
Reaction score
17
Location
Ontario
Experience
3 years
Thanks, ill try some rearranging. My betta is a delta so he does have a lot of finnage. Salt baths do help with healing correct? I have been water!changing every other day and giving him a salt bath on the days in between when he first had fin rot as I bought him.

Any recommendations on tankmates? He is extremely passive, he actually doesn't even flare at his reflection very much, I have tried that.
 

Levibeast

Active Member
Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
18
Experience
Just started
I personally have corydoras habrosus and he is fine with them after the first two days, but I only started this hobby 2 months ago so I'm no expert.
 

iamclaire

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
48
I have mine in with six exclamation point rasbora and a nerite snail. He never bothers them. I think it's the very bright and colorful fish, or the long tailed fish they usually have a problem with. It also has a lot to do with the betta. Some won't even allow a snail in their tank. Just make sure whatever you put in there likes warmer tempratures!
 

Sen

Active Member
Member
Messages
277
Reaction score
153
Experience
1 year
I have a male delta tail betta that was a tail-biter for a little while; I saw less tail-biting when I gave him some daily-changing things outside his tank to look at. I have a couple colored rocks in front of his tank that I change the arrangement of each day (rows, a circle, a smiley face, etc.) and sometimes I'll leave out a picture book on the table surface too. I once heard about someone who put comic books in front of their fish and turned the page each day, and I thought I tried it.

I'll also check in on my fish more often if I notice he's shredding his tail--there was one time I forgot to plug in his heater after a water change, and I woke up the next morning to notice he'd taken a chunk out of his tail. It may also depend on the temperament of your betta (my crowntail loves attention, but isn't nearly as needy as the delta for some reason) to some degree?

(This is admittedly my first post on this forum, so apologies if I've botched the advice somehow.)
 

Nadiboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
15
IceFyre1414 said:
To create a new post, click aquarium forum, select a forum, and then click post new thread. Your betta looks fine to me
Agreed. Looks like a normal crowntail to me! Love his color- or lack thereof!

Re: tank mates, it really depends on the individual betta. I've kept several with dwarf aquatic frogs, small tetras(though one was making meals of small embers and neons, so not TOO small!), small rasboras, shrimps (though they may eat babies)...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
M

MuskieCatcher

Active Member
Member
Messages
169
Reaction score
17
Location
Ontario
Experience
3 years
Thanks again guys. I reworked the tank and added a fair amount of light bubblers, so hopefully he will get some interest out of those. Everythings completely moved around, plants included (dug them up adding the bubblers), so hopefully he stops, at least long enough to let his little stump grow back.
 

iamclaire

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
48
Keep us posted! You should start seeing cellophane like growth at the very very edges of his tail within a week or so. Remember to feed him lots of protein as that helps speed things along. Sounds like one very lucky, very spoiled betta!
 

NinjaPanda

New Member
Member
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
Sorry to hear about your betta! Mine started biting his when I moved another male away from him (they could see each other through the glass). I put a tank divider in, added my other male and no more tail biting hope your solution works out!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
M

MuskieCatcher

Active Member
Member
Messages
169
Reaction score
17
Location
Ontario
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys! So far, it seems to be working. I'm still considering adding some tankmates, and would like something similar to a school of tetra. Thoughts or ideas?

27e3cd582727f7030623d59b6347bfad.jpg
fe39784e2270b874b230bb3fc553fff8.jpg


Just did another water change (hence all the particles in the water) and heres his little abode and my buddy there. Looks okay?
 

Nanologist

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,926
Reaction score
3,009
Location
Chicago
Experience
3 years
MuskieCatcher said:
27e3cd582727f7030623d59b6347bfad.jpg
fe39784e2270b874b230bb3fc553fff8.jpg


Just did another water change (hence all the particles in the water) and heres his little abode and my buddy there. Looks okay?
He's pretty and looks a lot like mine!
 

Elecktra

Active Member
Member
Messages
135
Reaction score
70
Experience
1 year
one of my betta used to bite his tail till I changed his tank. Initially he was in a 5 g and than I moved him in a 10 g. Once I put him in his new home he stopped bitting his tail which grew back.

20170408_192114.jpg
 

endiglowgurl

New Member
Member
Messages
46
Reaction score
21
Location
Logan, Utah
Experience
1 year
BReefer97 said:
I
Have pretty much no idea how to use this site, and I've been trying to make a post to ask about my betta. He's obviously a crow tail betta, but I'm not sure if he just has stringy fins naturally or if I bought him with fin rot. Granted his fins kind of curled a bit from some mild stress, but I just can't tell if he's supposed to be the way he is?
Yes, that is a crowntail and he is gorgeous!!

MuskieCatcher said:
Thanks, ill try some rearranging. My betta is a delta so he does have a lot of finnage. Salt baths do help with healing correct? I have been water!changing every other day and giving him a salt bath on the days in between when he first had fin rot as I bought him.

Any recommendations on tankmates? He is extremely passive, he actually doesn't even flare at his reflection very much, I have tried that.
Melafix can help with healing fins. As for tank mates, my betta is in with my mollies and platies and has done great with them. Id avoid any tetras though as they tend to nip fins.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
215
Guests online
3,431
Total visitors
3,646

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom