Tail Biting Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MuskieCatcher, Apr 16, 2017.

1. MuskieCatcherValued MemberMember

So, i have absolutely ruled out fin rot as the reason my betta continues to lose his tail. Finally caught him in the act of biting it. Question is, how do i try to keep him from doing so? He has lost and regrown over 50% of his tail 3 times now. Tank params are 0,0,20, temperature is 79, and he is the only inhabitant in a 10 gal. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Hello!:)
    Unfortunately tail biting is an extremely difficult habit to discourage. I have a tail biter too and nothing I do seems to help. Does your Betta have a long tail? If so, he might be annoyed by the weight of his tail and there isn't much you can do in this case. If not, it's possible that he's doing it out of boredom and you can try to discourage this by adding/rearranging his decorations every once in a while or letting him flare in front of a mirror for a few minutes every day or so.
    Good luck with him, having a tail biter is definitely frustrating!:banghead:

3. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

I
    Have pretty much no idea how to use this site, and I've been trying to make a post to ask about my betta. He's obviously a crow tail betta, but I'm not sure if he just has stringy fins naturally or if I bought him with fin rot. Granted his fins kind of curled a bit from some mild stress, but I just can't tell if he's supposed to be the way he is?

Attached Files:

4. _IceFyre_

To create a new post, click aquarium forum, select a forum, and then click post new thread. Your betta looks fine to me:)

5. LevibeastValued MemberMember

My betta was chasing his reflection non stop and one weekend he lost like half his tail to tail biting... and then when I added his tankmates he chased his reflection less and his tail has grown back. I think having tankmates allows him to not be bored. Maybe it will help! He is in a 10 gallon too.

6. OP
    OP
    M

MuskieCatcherValued MemberMember

Thanks, ill try some rearranging. My betta is a delta so he does have a lot of finnage. Salt baths do help with healing correct? I have been water!changing every other day and giving him a salt bath on the days in between when he first had fin rot as i bought him.

Any recommendations on tankmates? He is extremely passive, he actually doesnt even flare at his reflection very much, i have tried that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  7. _IceFyre_

I would just add the salt directly to the tank, it may help a bit but nothing too significant.
    As for tankmates, maybe 3 or so Endlers livebearers and a Nerite snail?

8. LevibeastValued MemberMember

I personally have corydoras habrosus and he is fine with them after the first two days, but I only started this hobby 2 months ago so I'm no expert.

9. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

I have mine in with six exclamation point rasbora and a nerite snail. He never bothers them. I think it's the very bright and colorful fish, or the long tailed fish they usually have a problem with. It also has a lot to do with the betta. Some won't even allow a snail in their tank. Just make sure whatever you put in there likes warmer tempratures!

10. OP
    OP
    M

Sounds good. Any other specific recommendations?

11. iamclaire

Not really, training helps to relieve boredom as well!

12. Sen

SenValued MemberMember

I have a male delta tail betta that was a tail-biter for a little while; I saw less tail-biting when I gave him some daily-changing things outside his tank to look at. I have a couple colored rocks in front of his tank that I change the arrangement of each day (rows, a circle, a smiley face, etc.) and sometimes I'll leave out a picture book on the table surface too. I once heard about someone who put comic books in front of their fish and turned the page each day, and I thought I tried it.

I'll also check in on my fish more often if I notice he's shredding his tail--there was one time I forgot to plug in his heater after a water change, and I woke up the next morning to notice he'd taken a chunk out of his tail. It may also depend on the temperament of your betta (my crowntail loves attention, but isn't nearly as needy as the delta for some reason) to some degree?

(This is admittedly my first post on this forum, so apologies if I've botched the advice somehow.)

13. Nadiboy

NadiboyValued MemberMember

Agreed. Looks like a normal crowntail to me! Love his color- or lack thereof! :)

Re: tank mates, it really depends on the individual betta. I've kept several with dwarf aquatic frogs, small tetras(though one was making meals of small embers and neons, so not TOO small!), small rasboras, shrimps (though they may eat babies)...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks again guys. I reworked the tank and added a fair amount of light bubblers, so hopefully he will get some interest out of those. Everythings completely moved around, plants included (dug them up adding the bubblers), so hopefully he stops, at least long enough to let his little stump grow back.

15. iamclaire

Keep us posted! You should start seeing cellophane like growth at the very very edges of his tail within a week or so. Remember to feed him lots of protein as that helps speed things along. Sounds like one very lucky, very spoiled betta!

16. NinjaPanda

NinjaPandaNew MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your betta! Mine started biting his when I moved another male away from him (they could see each other through the glass). I put a tank divider in, added my other male and no more tail biting :) hope your solution works out!

17. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks guys! So far, it seems to be working. Im still considering adding some tankmates, and would like something similar to a school of tetra. Thoughts or ideas?

27e3cd582727f7030623d59b6347bfad.jpgfe39784e2270b874b230bb3fc553fff8.jpg

Just did another water change (hence all the particles in the water) and heres his little abode and my buddy there. Looks okay?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  18. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

He's pretty and looks a lot like mine! :D

19. Elecktra

ElecktraValued MemberMember

one of my betta used to bite his tail till I changed his tank. Initially he was in a 5 g and than I moved him in a 10 g. Once I put him in his new home he stopped bitting his tail which grew back.

20170408_192114.jpg

20. endiglowgurl

endiglowgurlNew MemberMember

Yes, that is a crowntail and he is gorgeous!!

Melafix can help with healing fins. As for tank mates, my betta is in with my mollies and platies and has done great with them. Id avoid any tetras though as they tend to nip fins.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice