Status
Not open for further replies.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all!

My dalmation molly has been hanging around the top of the tank, very still with her tail bent downwards. No other fish are doing this. A couple days ago I got a power head to create more oxygen, because I noticed some of the fish were hanging around the top. Since then they all seem very active, except this one. And if she gets in front of the current, she can barely swim. I heard that it could be lack of vitamin c?

She could possibly be pregnant, but I've never noticed my other pregnant molly do this.

My water seems fine....
amonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
pH: 7.0

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello FishLuver,

Is there any way you can post a photo of the fish. Is the tail actually bending downward or is the tail fin clamped?

Hold on for more responses.
Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I *think* I know what you mean, my guppy did that in the days before she passed away, no real cause (water fine, just like yours), she just suddenly started swimming this way and a few days later she died. I do hope it's something else, but that's my only experience with it.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello FishLuver,

Is there any way you can post a photo of the fish. Is the tail actually bending downward or is the tail fin clamped?

Hold on for more responses.
Ken
I attached a picture, and that is where she hides most of the time too, away from the current.

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello FishLover,

Thanks for posting the photo. Too me, the fin appears to be clamped. One reason that causes clamped fins is poor water conditions. Check to make sure you have readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and under 20 nitrates <---all I see posted in your Aquarium Profile.

I'd suggest increasing your water changes to several a week. The best place to start when something isn't right is a water change. Vita Chem and Garlic Guard to help boost the immune system. I think pristine water conditions are crucial now. Maybe some Nova Aqua or Stress Coat added too.
Garlic in a jar from the grocery store will work, link below:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

I've seen mention of some Vitamin C might help...you can use veggie flakes for this.

I can't say for certain if a fungus has developed or not. Let's get some more responses.

Best wishes! Keep us posted.
Ken

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Another possibility is injury during pregnancy. A friend has a guppy that was hurt in some way and its tail is turn almost at a 90 degree angle to the body.
Definitely go with Aquarist's suggestions, though, as everything he said will also help the poor thing survive if it's an injury, too.

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys, but I think it was actually ick! I started to notice some white speckles on her fin and on a couple other fish too. After a water 25% water change I used some ick clear tablets, and already today I noticed that the speckles are gone. I'll try some of the other things mentioned as well and see what happens!

My water has always been 0 amonia, 0 nitrite and under 20 nitrates. My pH is 7.0 or 7.5 around there

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning FishLuver,

I hate that you're dealing with ICH, but I'm glad you discovered it and hopefully in time.

Keep us posted please.

Ken

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, and my molly actually seems more active now. I do see the odd speckle still, so I'll do another treatment as it says on the pack it can be done again in another 24hrs if it's not cleared up. These are the blue tablets and it says to take the carbon out. Does anyone know when you can put the carbon back in?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Once you've finished the treatment and the ICH is gone then you can add the carbon back to the filter.

Ken

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great thanks! My molly is much better, I actually noticed that there are 2 new babies in the tank that one of the mollies must have gave birth to! Everything seems fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom