Tahitian Moon Sand?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Charlotte_, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Charlotte_

Charlotte_New MemberMember

I always hear people raving about Tahitian Moon Sand but only after talking about what a pain it is to rinse and prepare it. I've been considering it for a tank update in the distant future and I just wanted some information--- How much did you have to rinse it? Did your tank cloud much after you added it and if it did, how long did it take and what methods did you use to help it settle? Most importantly, do you think it would be safe to add it to a tank with a substrate scavenging goldfish? Spare no horror story! :) Thanks in advance!

2. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

My first bags of it, I had to rinse like crazy, but these last few bags I bought recently came packaged where you didn't rinse it because it had live bacteria. Either way, I love the stuff.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Any sand has to be rinsed thoroughly because it's dusty. I rinsed my TMS over and over until the water ran mostly clear, and I didn't have a problem with the tank being cloudy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice