Tadpoles

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A friend found a puddle in our neighborhood that was full of tadpoles. The puddle will probably dry up before they grow to maturatity so we decided to scoop up a few and try our hand at raising them. I cleaned out a 10 gallon I have for just such occurances and put about 3 gallons of water and a rock that sticks out of the water for when they need it. I'm going to add prime to dechlorinate... and then introduce the tadpoles. My questions are:

1. What do I feed them?
2. Water changes... how often? how much? (I don't have filtration... since they were living in a polluted puddle I figured that anything would be better than that)
3. They are certainly some sort of local toad species... what do I do when I have a bunch of toads... can I release them?
4. Is there anything I'm not thinking of that I should know before getting myself more into this mess?

Thanks in advance,
Jenn

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1. They mainly eat algae, but will eat anything edible lol.
2. I would say little and often.
3. Realease them once they have all of their legs, then they have to fight for themselves.
4. No not really lol.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know the answers to your questions but I have one for you. . How do you know they're toads and not frogs? I'm sure there must be some difference in their needs.

-Lisa

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow.
1) Possibly anything fry would eat. Infusora, First Bites etc. If you have mosses or plants, they'd probably pick off that.

2) I'd add an airstone or seeded sponge filter. Not sure about the water changes. When you start feeding, left over food will create ammonia.

3) I would think, yes, since they are local.

4) Is there a pond or something like that that you could put the tads in rather than putting them in the tank?

Edit: Good point Kunsthure. If they're bull frog tadpoles, a 10g isn't going to be big enough for them to get to adult hood

Last edited:

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know the answers to your questions but I have one for you. . How do you know they're toads and not frogs? I'm sure there must be some difference in their needs.

-Lisa
They are in a neighborhood that has LOTS of toads... there is a river nearby but I would think that since frogs are so aquatic they don't venture far from water to lay their eggs... We found them in a muddy yucky puddle that I don't think would be a frog habitat.

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tadpoles are super small... about as long as the nail on my pinky finger... I've seen bull frog tadpole and they are bigger even freshly hatched....these have been in the puddle for about a week and the street was recently reopened for traffic and so the puddle is being driven through... etc.

I have a pond I can take them to when they are bigger... but I just wanted my kids to see the process of tadpole to frog.

Jenn

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's pretty cool to watch. When I was a kid we would catch tadpoles and keep them in a plastic bin out back. Eventually one day, they would all hop away.

Watching my ADF tadpoles was exciting

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah it should be fun.

I will scoop some moss and free floating aquatic plants out of one of our tanks and try to get an airstone set up in their later. I have some algea wafers... do you think those would work if I broke them up small? What about veggies (spinach, cucumber or squash)... could they eat that?

Jenn

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
very cool you found those! the water requirements are different for frogs and toads. frogs need much more water to swim in and keep wet. though they do like to come out and lounge on something. but if a toad doesn't have something to sit on, they will die, because they don't need nearly as much water as a frog.

if i find a toad in my parents pool, i put him in the woods, rather than the pond. they bury themselves under leaves into the mud to keep cool and moist. then if there is rain or puddles, they'll come out for those. this is as adults. i'm not sure what frog or toad tadpoles need in terms of amount of water......

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe desolve the algea wafer first. An airstone will move keep the desolved food moving so the tads can 'hunt'

You could get some infusora started today. Put a peice of lettuce in some tank water, put it in a clear covered container and set it in the sun. In a few days you should have some nice green water for them. Run it through a coffee filter, it'll get kind of scummy.

Oh and hold your breath when you open it! lol

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe desolve the algea wafer first. An airstone will move keep the desolved food moving so the tads can 'hunt'

You could get some infusora started today. Put a peice of lettuce in some tank water, put it in a clear covered container and set it in the sun. In a few days you should have some nice green water for them. Run it through a coffee filter, it'll get kind of scummy.

Oh and hold your breath when you open it! lol
Don't I know it! My daughter has been keeping a tuperware outside with a bunch of snails she's pulled out of the garden... she put some spinach in there to feed them and when I opened it today... Yikes... and that is with a top with holes in it to allow air circulation... The snails laid some eggs... I've seen them in my tank before... but never land snail eggs. Very cool.
We also have some caterpillars that have constructed cocoons... my carport is becoming a preschool biology lab this spring...

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
if i find a toad in my parents pool, i put him in the woods, rather than the pond. they bury themselves under leaves into the mud to keep cool and moist. then if there is rain or puddles, they'll come out for those. this is as adults. i'm not sure what frog or toad tadpoles need in terms of amount of water......
We have tons of toad in our neighborhood. We live pretty close to a river... I'm almost certain they are toads just due to the location... but I have some friends that might be able to identify them for me before they get big enough to worry about.

I always find toads swimming in the dogs bowl or the kids pool. Some of them have toxins in their skin so I have to watch out for them in the summer time.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Algae wafers would be great for them!!!...best food any tadpole has ever had....be careful they might bond with you and move in!!!!!!....lol

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Algae wafers would be great for them!!!...best food any tadpole has ever had....be careful they might bond with you and move in!!!!!!....lol
If I end up with a few toads that'll eat the squash bugs in my garden then they are WELCOME to move in and stay as long as they want.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We have tons of toad in our neighborhood. We live pretty close to a river... I'm almost certain they are toads just due to the location... but I have some friends that might be able to identify them for me before they get big enough to worry about.

I always find toads swimming in the dogs bowl or the kids pool. Some of them have toxins in their skin so I have to watch out for them in the summer time.
yeah all toads have a gland behind their eyes with a poison in it for defense. i don't think it would affect a human, unless you tried to eat one that was alive. which would NEVER happen! i hope. lol i pick toads all the time, nothing bad has ever happened.

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah all toads have a gland behind their eyes with a poison in it for defense. i don't think it would affect a human, unless you tried to eat one that was alive. which would NEVER happen! i hope. lol i pick toads all the time, nothing bad has ever happened.
It is not me that would eat them.. but the dogs. Since they swim in the water bowls I worry the dogs will think they are some cool delicacy that I put in there just for their entertainment and culinary pleasure. I have never tried to eat a toad alive... but I'd consider frogs legs if they were cooked in a lot of garlic. :;z

BTW the tadpoles are doing great! They are a bit bigger. No sign of legs yet.

JennDFK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: The first toads are emerging.. They are no bigger than they were as tadpoles... they just have legs instead of tails. There are at least 6 fully formed and many well on their way

482.jpg

483.jpg

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isn't that just the coolest thing!!
Thanks for the update!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom