1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Tabs Vs Liquid Fertilizer? Both?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Damiano, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DamianoValued MemberMember

Hey guys so I have just started into the Hobby with Live plants. I have root tabs in the sand. Question is should I also add liquid Fert? Or are tabs enough? I have Water wisteria and Sagittaria Also I see some of the Sagittaria leaves dying. Is this normal when entering a new tank? Do I just cut them off? My light is a Koval 78 Thanks

2. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Dam...

With sand, I'd use root tabs. The liquid would work better if you have a small gravel substrate. In my opinion, the sand is too dense for liquid ferts.

Old

3. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

I would honestly use both. Dwarf sag is a heavy root feeder, and it's normal for it to melt back btw, I would just let it go unless it's causing water issues. Water wisteria, in my experience feeds from the water column, but also gets massive roots.

4. DamianoValued MemberMember

How many root tabs would you suggest? It’s a 29 Gallon. I have 10 Seachem root tabs in it already

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I would say 10 is enough for now. I put them at the plants roots. For small Plants i break the tabs into halves or quarters. Plants also draw in ferts through there leaves so liquid ferts will also help. I use Seachem fluorite comprehensive.

6. DamianoValued MemberMember

How often do you dose?

7. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Agree, wisteria would benefit from water ferts, the sag would appreciate some tabs. I would place tabs in pieces around the sag plants. As for water ferts, I use Profito Easy Life and dose every 2 or 3 days. Another good all in one fert is Thrive. But I'll let someone else give you advice there cuz I'm just starting with water ferts. But I'll tell you after starting to dose ferts, I've noticed a real improvement in my stem and floating plants. Before when I wasn't dosing, I only had heavy rooters and the tabs alone worked fine, but floating plants struggled when I added them. Same goes for stems.

8. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

I think the root tabs should be fine for at least 3 months. I'd add liquid as per the directions

9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes tabs should be good for a few months. When plants stop growing it’s time for more. Liquid ferts twice a week should be fine. Good luck and enjoy your plants :).

10. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I would only use root tabs for something like swords. Everything else will be fine with water column dosing. Its may help the sag. Is it dwarf sag? If so, it's kind of a logistical nightmare to use root tabs with the way it propagates anyway.

11. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Why may I ask about the sag? I'm trying to grow dwarf sag with root tabs. I haven't tried it for too long yet. Without tabs and only gravel/sand, it only survives. It does much better with a soil substrate though! I use tabs for crinums, aponos, lotus, swords, val and sag. Any plant that feeds primarily from the roots. I find maybe the ferts are helping with old leaves though.

12. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

A carpet would require too many tabs in order to efficiently dose all the plants. Also, there was a study done a while back. Even heavy root feeders like swords can be driven with an inert substrate and just water column dosing, albeit without being driven hard.

My dwarf sag did pretty much nothing in a dirted tank. Nothing when I added lights but couldn't keep them above 65 percent due to algae. Nothing when I added a bunch of fluval stratum. Nothing when I dosed heavy with dry ferts. Now its exploding with co2. Seems to be a common trend with most carpets.

13. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Thank you, I read that too about water ferts for heavy rooters. They grow just fine for me without water ferts too though and just root tabs or soil.

This is my dwarf sag carpet when I first dirted my tank .
    90g pairing tank.jpg
    Now I realize dirt has a lot of nutrients and gives off a certain amount of co2, but that carpet was crazy! No water ferts even to this day, although sag doesn't grow as well anymore.

14. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

My dirt has a full 1 inch cap of sand so my plants have to really struggle before they hit the sweet stuff. It's why I added the stratum.

I also planted pretty sparsely. 3 packs of dwarf sag dont go far in a 180

15. DamianoValued MemberMember

16. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I'm a fan of them. They are decent in macros, and micros are easily taken from the water column.

17. PatricNew MemberMember

I use NilocG liquid fert with good results.

18. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Just saw the flourish. You were talking about tabs right?

19. DamianoValued MemberMember

No bought the liquid already have the tabs in the sand

20. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

What tabs are you using? Check to see if that flourish has potassium, nitrogen, and potassium. If not, it's not going to do well as it's the micronutrient formula.

Edit: one of the potassium should have been phosphate.