Taboo? Question 

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
just wondering if this idea was taboo or not?i just put my freind pete in a 30gal tank,(my betta by the way.lol)with a deformed albino cory cat,they are doing great and have been for quite awhile.today i went and bought 3 fancie male guppies,and 2 other cory cat.(dont really know what kind yet).will this be too much for my betta?cause i heard that you should not have others with your betta/they are a solitary fish.i have had him in my other comunity tanks.(w/parrots,convicts,roseboras and the such)i will not put him with a con again cause it almost destroyed my betta,chewed on his fins like no tommorow.but now is just fine.even looks more better.big lushouse fins now.anyway do you think it will be fine with these fish i have with him know?thanks just wondering.and any input would be very helpfull.again thank you.STEVE.

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Steve, I personally would not do it. Betta fish are indeed typically solitary fish. He may do alright at first and then become aggressive. Guppies are a bit similar to Betta fish and he may indeed think this is another male and attack him. I believe these fish do best on their own in their own tank. I keep mine in a 10 gallon heated filtered tank and she is very happy!!

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guppies are usually a no b/c of the brightly colored fins, betta will see them as rivals. Cories are ok depending on betta's personality, if he likes company or not.

If he ever seems stressed - washed out coloring, horizontal lines on his body, hiding anywhere, refusing food, etc, move him ASAP. Keep a close eye on him and his tankmates.

FiremouthGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not the fancy tail guppies! If you must put them in, try to keep them in a breeding net for a few days, where the betta can see them but not attack them. Then release them. If the betta rips their tails off, remove them immediately!

From what I hear: Bettas are unnerved by schooling species as they move quickly and alot, and flashy fins catch their eye and they want to rip them off, being aggressive as they are.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
even if the tank is a 30gal?seems like alot of room for these fish?

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i will definatly head all your advice,i am sitting here watching them and yes they do seem to be abit agresive towards each other.the betta definatly holds his ground.i guess in the am i will have to set up my other 30gal tank,for the guppys.boy will my wife be mad know.lol.oh well i have to think of my fishies now dont i.lol.just means for me i can go on with my MTS.lol.thanks guys/gals.anymore info will be very much greatful.

Savage Destiny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should be able to keep your cories in with Pete, unless he's really aggressive. Bottom feeders usually don't bother bettas.

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Betta for two years already in a 55 gal. with Angelfish and BN Plecos. He's doing great.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yah pete seems to do good with the corys,hes got one that has been with him since i got him,i had him(the cory)with a male convict that ripped all his fins off,they havent growen back yet and really dont think they will,but the little guy seems to get along real good,and pete seems to look after him.i think they are real buds.lol

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cories are usually alright, but long finned fish like guppies usually don't go with bettas.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom