T8 15w 18" bulb

1. Skyy2112 Member Member

How will these do in a planted 20 tall?

What spectrum would you suggest? 6500k?

Currently a Flora-Glo 2800k and after watching videos, I'm realizing thats NOT the way to go.

Only one bulb will fit in the ballast, 6500k?

Thanks for looking! =]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

I know we have plant growth, but I'm worried about the light. Currently liquid ferts/CO2, and my plants are bumpin, just wonder if I could see more with a better light.

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Sky...

A tall tank isn't the best for plants or fish. The taller the tank the less light you have for the bottom plants. A tall tank has minimal surface area for mixing oxygen into the tank water, so the fish can breathe normally.

If you're using a tank kit, the light is just enough for looking into the tank and not for growing plants.

I would suggest a minimum of a 29 gallon long tank and three bulbs in the 5,000 to 10,000K range. If you use standard florescent lighting you need 3 watts for every gallon of tank volume or roughly 90 watts to grow even the basic aquarium plants.

Old

5. Skyy2112 Member Member

Thanks Old, I am aware of this, however. I am going to attempt this. I currently run a 2800k over it, 15watt t...8?

Ps, T5's and T8's are more output than older ballasts.

Going to try dirted, the current setup IS growing plants, just not like I want, my 20 H is going into a 20 L this weekend.

6. Beretta Initiate Member

I would leave it as is. If you are growing plants and not algae, you're dialed in. If you add more light, then you will need more ferts. If you add more ferts without more light, then you will get algae. Changing your substrate to dirt may cause this. What kind of CO2 are you using? Pressurized?

7. Skyy2112 Member Member

T8 15w 18" bulb

Non press, but I'm gonna experiment w/ the 20H. I'll do another post about it. Thanks

EDIT: if you'd like I will tag you and you can give me more input then :]

8. Beretta Initiate Member

Yeah that would be fine. I have a few high light pressurized CO2 tanks so could offer some advice if you get to that points

9. Skyy2112 Member Member

Unfortionately I dont have money to put into it. (Yes I understand a pressurized is cheaper down the road)