T5-HO Tubes

TheMysticWizard

I know most people are suggesting and transitioning over to LED setups, but I am a creature of habit and would prefer to use what I have (as far as fixtures.) That being said, I have a hood I built for my 20 High which has 3 x 22.2" (24 watt) T5-HO fixtures and a few dim LEDs for twilight/night lighting.

I had purchased run of the mill 6400k tubes on Amazon because I needed something (the fixtures were salvaged with warm white, 3500k lamps that were years old and burnt up, not providing any useful life) and they cost me around 18 bux for 5 of them and I believe they have served their purpose. I had swapped 2 of them out for the fresh ones I had on hand a few months back, but I remember reading that lamps, especially HO lamps, lose their effectiveness and start to diminish rather quickly in quality and quantity of light. Before experimenting with plants, I'd replace them when they stopped working...

Do you guys have a brand, kelvin rating or type of T5-HO tube to recommend for growing plants? Does it really matter, as long as we have a high CRI rating on the lamps? Do certain kelvin ratings have a positive or negative effect on plant or algae growth?

Thinking of running a mix next time around, maybe one 3000k tube, one 6500k tube and I saw some 8000k/enchanced UV lamps, not sure if those are appropriate... they're advertised to provide more usable UV light for the plants which helps them grow stronger and healthier.

Thoughts?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
V1K
  • Question
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
  • Question
Replies