T5 HO lights question Question

1. N

Neji Valued Member Member

I don't know if I should get the T5 HO fixture. Do they use a lot more electricity than the normal T8's? I have the T8's right now and I was planning on either getting a light fixture with two sockets or however you call them so then I can fit two light bulbs into the fixture and then I could grow plants easier :) I want to get the tiger lotus plants too, especially the red tiger lotus since they are absolutely beautiful! :D

2. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

A 100W T5HO fixture would use the exact same amount of electricity as a 100W T8 fixture... 100 watts.

T5HO has the advantage of producing more light per watt used than would T8, meaning you could theoretically achieve the same output with less electricity usage.

3. OP
    OP
    N

So then the T5's don't use more electricity than the T8s? I don't use 100W lights though.

4. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

The 100W number was an example.

In very simplified terms, the aquarium lighting industry uses the term "watt" as a unit of measure to quantify how much power (electricity) will be consumed per hour. The total wattage value of the fixture tells you how much electricity you're using, regardless of bulb diameter.

If you have a T8 fixture that uses two 15W bulbs, and compare it to a T5HO fixture that uses one 24W bulb, the T8 fixture uses more electricity... 30W compared to 24W.

If you have a T5HO fixture that uses one 54W bulb, and compare it to a T8 fixture that uses one 40W bulb, the T5HO fixture uses more electricity... 54W compared to 40W.

Bulb diameter doesn't matter.

5. OP
    OP
    N

Oh I see. So then the T5's us more electricity. So I shouldn't get them then? and I should just stick with the T8's with the two sockets or what you call it so the I can put two bulbs in instead of getting the T5.

6. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

No they both use the same amount of electricity. I believe Mathas was just trying to demonstrate that both can use more electricity if you get a bulb with higher wattage.

A 24Watt T5 uses the same amount of electricity as a 24Watt T8 bulb. The difference is that the T5 produces more light with that 24 watts of use than the T8 bulb does. (T5 = More light for your money)

7. OP
    OP
    N

Oh I see. So then the T5's produce more light for the same watt I believe.

8. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

You got it ;)