T5 Blue Actinctic Bulbs?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by Chris Osborne, Apr 13, 2018.

1. C

Chris Osborne New Member Member

Hey all, will these bulbs work for coral growth in my 8 slot t5 fixture? Thanks! Screenshot_20180413-132228_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

2. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi! A little background on my own experience with T5's... I started my reef tank under T5's, a 4 bulb fixture using 2 actinic plus 2 10,000K bulbs by Coralife. Brought my first corals home, and was totally disappointed with how they looked in my tank compared to how they looked at the fish store. Did a little research, and found that much better brands are available, namely ATI. :) They are a bit more expensive, but they are so worth it. You will have a much wider assortment of colors to pick from and that's what will allow you to dial in the look you want in your tank.

A plus side to buying these better, but more expensive bulbs? You can pick them up from Marine Depot, which also does quick free shipping and has an awesome rewards program. Be sure to sign up for that before buying.;) In fact, I'd love to do the 'Refer a Friend' option with you, which would earn us both $10 in rewards dollars.:D Alas, we would have to share email addresses, and that is not something we can do on a thread, only in PM's which you need 50 posts for. Anyhow, buying 8 Coralife bulbs is not cheap, and you would do much better to invest in ATI bulbs.
    https://www.marinedepot.com/Search?Category=FILTBUT5

Here's a great example of a beautiful tank full of growing difficult corals, all under ATI bulbs. :)Potter's Freshwater Headache

3. OP
    OP
    C

Chris Osborne New Member Member

Thanks for the input! I think I'd much rather invest now than replace it all later.

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

:emoji_thumbsup:Exactly! I spent $60 on Coralife and didn't even use them for half their lifespan before spending $80 on ATI's. I loathe buying things twice when I didn't have to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice