T-bar Cichlid Stocking

JeffK

I stocked my old t-bar tank with praecox (dwarf neon) rainbows. I also considered congo tetras, buenos aires tetras, diamond tetras. If you start with a young t-bar, you'll be ok. The problem will arise in about a year when your t-bar is about full-grown (especially if you have a male) and you may need to add to one of your schools with young (smaller) harlequins or rainbows. The new, smaller additions would then be in jeopardy of being eaten. At least with a 55 gal there is room for smaller fish to stay up higher in the water column while the t-bar will stay (mostly) lower. I had mine in a 33 gal long tank - same footprint as a 55 gal but not nearly as high. T-bars are beautiful, impressive-looking fish. Good luck with yours! I'm going to tag tyguy7760 as he also keeps t-bars in case he has anything to add.

Grogie321

Ok so the 55 will be big enough? If I had to add to my schools, could I put them in like a grow out tank until they're big enough or not? Also will the fully grown T-Bar (male) bother the fully grown harlequins or dwarf rainbows or even my corys?

JeffK

JeffK

Ok so the 55 will be big enough? If I had to add to my schools, could I put them in like a grow out tank until they're big enough or not? Also will the fully grown T-Bar (male) bother the fully grown harlequins or dwarf rainbows or even my corys?
I think the 55 gal tank is big enough. My t-bar never bothered my cories. I think your other schools will learn to stay out of your t-bar's way. A 55 gal gives them plenty of room to do that. I added my t-bar last. When he was added (at approx 2 inches) my rainbows immediately started to school much tighter - cool to watch!

Grogie321

Ok thanks? Someone else did say 65 gallon but my budget is around £300-£400 new or second hand. Should I stay at the lower end of this stocking list ie the 8 rather than the 10?

JeffK

JeffK

Ok thanks? Someone else did say 65 gallon but my budget is around £300-£400 new or second hand. Should I stay at the lower end of this stocking list ie the 8 rather than the 10?
You don't need a 65 gallon tank to house a t-bar cichlid with other fish IMO. If you have not yet purchased the 55 gal tank, another consideration would be a 40 gal breeder tank. That is another great size tank for a t-bar with other fish.

Grogie321

Ok thanks for all the help. My heart is set on a 55 as I have room for error with stocking etc. Are you US or UK based?

JeffK

Ok thanks for all the help. My heart is set on a 55 as I have room for error with stocking etc. Are you US or UK based?
I'm in the US. Best of luck with your tank!

tyguy7760

agreed with JeffK . THat stocking sounds good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tyguy7760
  • Question
Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
bozatron
Replies