55 Gallon Tank Syphoning often ok?

Tilderjones
I realized I like siphoning my tank ...I find it, calming and relaxing... I can totally see if you have many tanks it becomes a chore, but I have just two and the second one is only a 5g, I replace what I pulled out with fresh water after of course, so they also get a small water change every time...About 10%.
Is that too much to do almost every day or is it beneficial?
Is there something good for the cycle to let some poop build-up for a few days?
Sorry if it's a dumb question...but I don't want to be 'over-cleaning'. I don't siphon deeply, just the surface of the sand and Flourite, going around the plants.
How often do you guys siphon the surface?

(I first started siphoning daily to help treat an ich outbreak that came with new fish, as per recommendation, the ich has been gone for a while now...yet I've grown accustomed to vacuuming all the bits of poop and loose plant debris! )

kallililly1973
In my small 5.5’s I usually use a turkey baster to clear waste or I start a siphon with a piece of airline tubing and attach it to a skewer with elastics to be able to pinpoint the areas to be cleaned. It doesn’t take a lot of water out wit the airline tubing. I do 50-75% WC’s on all my tanks weekly. Doing a 10% WC isn’t really clearing out a lot of water. There are a lot of other elements in the water that are beneficial that we don’t test for so larger WC’s are better IMO.

Tilderjones
kallililly1973 said:
I start a siphon with a piece of airline tubing and attach it to a skewer with elastics to be able to pinpoint the areas to be cleaned.
Oh what a good idea - I'm totally going to try that, sounds great for getting anything lodged in crevices between rocks, etc

BTW I do a real WC too (didn't make that clear in my first post) - once a week I pull out 30-50% of the water and every couple weeks I give the filter sponges a quick rinse in dirty tank water. (Threw out those pesky HOB cartridges when I did an ich treatment, DIY'ed the filter media and never went back to them).

juniperlea
Tilderjones said:
I realized I like siphoning my tank ...I find it, calming and relaxing... I can totally see if you have many tanks it becomes a chore, but I have just two and the second one is only a 5g, I replace what I pulled out with fresh water after of course, so they also get a small water change every time...About 10%.
Is that too much to do almost every day or is it beneficial?
Is there something good for the cycle to let some poop build-up for a few days?
Sorry if it's a dumb question...but I don't want to be 'over-cleaning'. I don't siphon deeply, just the surface of the sand and Flourite, going around the plants.
How often do you guys siphon the surface?

(I first started siphoning daily to help treat an ich outbreak that came with new fish, as per recommendation, the ich has been gone for a while now...yet I've grown accustomed to vacuuming all the bits of poop and loose plant debris! )
One day, many years ago, I was pooper-scooping the cat litter box and suddenly 'woke up' to find myself weaving intricate patterns on the surface with the scooper! That event frightens me to this day! But, sometimes, when I can't sleep, I imagine vacuuming the living room floor. I vacuum it the same way, every time...... zzzzzzzz

You have sand, so I can't answer about siphoning. I have gravel and just siphon about once every 7 to 10 days. I know.... I should be more religious about it!

kallililly1973
Tilderjones said:
Oh what a good idea - I'm totally going to try that, sounds great for getting anything lodged in crevices between rocks, etc

BTW I do a real WC too (didn't make that clear in my first post) - once a week I pull out 30-50% of the water and every couple weeks I give the filter sponges a quick rinse in dirty tank water. (Threw out those pesky HOB cartridges when I did an ich treatment, DIY'ed the filter media and never went back to them).
It works great for me one good way to get the siphon started is put the airline tube in the turkey baster n pump it a few times then I have a TV tray with my bucket on it and I use a chip clip to hold the end that is in the bucket in the bucket. It’s time consuming but mesmerizing so u don’t wanna look down and seeing your tank water not hitting the bucket

Tilderjones
juniperlea said:
One day, many years ago, I was pooper-scooping the cat litter box and suddenly 'woke up' to find myself weaving intricate patterns on the surface with the scooper!
LOL! I've caught myself smoothing out the surface but not intricate patterns...Kinda like making those zen rock gardens, but for cats :cat:

kallililly1973 said:
It works great for me one good way to get the siphon started is put the airline tube in the turkey baster n pump it a few times...
Another great idea, thank you! Gonna grab a baster soon...no more dirty hose sucking for me :yuck:

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom