Synthetic plants are burned.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by R0B, Mar 18, 2010.

1. R

R0B Valued Member Member

I have been noticing for like a month now some brown marks on some of my fake plants and it has gotten worse. I think my light is burning them because i have another of the same type and its under some cover and it isnt burned, has anyone experienced this? Any solutions other than buying a new one?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Burned synthetic plants!!!!!!!!!

Try pulling out the 'burned' plant & giving it a wash. Sounds more like diatoms to me. I've never heard of fake plants burning. The water would need to be boiling to do that.

3. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Uh, yeah...that's wierd. Could be algae. ^^^ Do this.

4. OP
    OP
    R

R0B Valued Member Member

can it be harmful if left like that?

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Not at all. Diatoms are common in newer setups, and most of the time tend to dissipate on their own. It's nothing to worry about. :)

6. OP
    OP
    R

R0B Valued Member Member

Ok i just took them out, washed them and sure enough they are off :) i feel so silly.

7. OP
    OP
    R

R0B Valued Member Member

This can't be normal, the brown marks keep coming out and they have spread to almost all my synthetic plants, i have also noticed my water is cloudy. I clean the filter, changed cartridges and did a water change with Prime, idk whats wrong...

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

when you have a new tank, they come and go for up to a year or more.....it doesnt hurt anything but is more of an eye sore to the humans ;)

dont overclean things though or you could go into a mini cycle...let nature take its time/course :)

9. OP
    OP
    R

R0B Valued Member Member

Ok Shawnie thank you lol i just dont want to lose any of my fish, i started 5 months ago in the hobby with a 5 gal tank and 6 fish in it 0.o then got a 29gallon and i havent lost a single one, i plan to keep it that way!

10. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;nwgreat job!

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Becareful with changing filter cartridges. The benificial bacteria lives in the filter cartridge, and replacing the cartridge can put you back to square one cycle-wise.

It is recommended to just swish the filter cartridge in used tank water and then just put it back in your filter.

And as Shawnie said, the brown algae is harmless, it just looks kinda ugly, so don't be too concerned about it.

12. OP
    OP
    R

R0B Valued Member Member

I didn't mean the biological filter, that i only rinse out. Thanks for the advice :)

13. lil0618

lil0618 Valued Member Member

:;soldier:;soldier:;soldiergood job ive lost three wha wa waaaaaaa

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice