Synodontis Petricolas

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

These fish seem so interesting and I really love them. I have a couple questions though. How big of groups should they be kept with and minimum tank size? Also lastly do these guys have a lot of personality? Are they hardy? Sorry for asking so many questions thanks ahead of time

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum
  2. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

I would get at least 3 in your group. Its weird but try to stick to odd numbers, they seem to stock better that way. Minimum tank size would be 30g, NEEDS to be a minimum of 36" in Length. I'd personally recommend a 55g!!! I do not personally own them, my LFS stocks them regularly and that is who gave me the info. They are fairly hardy, but not as you'd expect, they still need clean water. They are omnivorous and extremely easy to feed. Frozen, live and dried foods would be great for food. It will also eat vegetables like, shelled peas, cucumber, and zucchini. On that note, do not stock this fish with Small fish, remember they are meat eaters too and really will eat what easily fits in its mouth.

Ideal Water Conditions-

Temp-78 to 82 Deg. F.
    PH- ~8, can be as low as 7.5
    Hardness- ~30DH

They do better in sand substrate, and prefer LOTS of caves and stacked rocks. Also a little swimming space is needed. Look up Lake Tanganyika set ups, that is where they are from in the wild.

3. Fishboy123 Member Member

I wanna add a couple in my 20x20 30 gallon tank with a couple shell dwellers and maybe a calvus or a rock dweller

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The synodontis would be too big for your tank size, as suggested above they need at least a 3ft tank

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I keep 2 in a 29 gallon. They are all over the place and doing fine.
  6. Fishboy123 Member Member

Oh :( ok thanks

7. Fishboy123 Member Member

Oh I heard synodontis don't get vey big at least this species at maybe 4 inches at adult size

8. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

There are many different kinds of synodontis. The petricola only get to be about 2 inches. Maybe a bit more. I love mine. Very cool little fish.
  9. Fishboy123 Member Member

Yea I was really hoping to get 2 or 3

10. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes, I understand but you also want to be wary of them possibly eating any juvenile shell dwellers you may buy.

11. Fishboy123 Member Member

Yea I was scared of that as well but if I but adult 1 inch Shellie's and 2 inch synodontis it shouldn't be a problem

12. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes, just wouldn't want you to lose a beautiful shellie! They are basically both bottom dwelling species and the shellies maybe being territorial could set off the catfish. I know how much thought and research you've put into this! Will ask my LFS guy about stocking tomorrow, He is very trustworthy (unlike most).
  13. Fishboy123 Member Member

Thanks so much I really appreciate you helping me out man. For the sake of creating a good successful shell dweller colony I might just stick with the Shellie's and see what happens. If it's successful I'll probably add a Julie and maybe the synos. And yea I have been putting a ton of research in this it's fun though which is good!
  14. Fishboy123 Member Member

Also, using tetra safe start could I add the shell dwellers? I'm very scared to do a fish in cycle with tetra safe start with the Shellie's because I really don't want any casualties. I'm not exactly sure which cycle to do.
  15. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Well to properly set up a TSS tank you must have fish in-cycle for it to work. I'm not too sure about cycling with the shellie's you might want to use some zebra danio for this purpose and then rehome them when you add the shellies.

It may take longer but since you don't have any fish purchased for the tank, I'd do a fish-less cycle, most people recommend it on here too. But I understand if you would rather go the TSS route. Just make up your mind and don't switch in-between.

I'm not saying you can't stock the catfish either, I'll talk to my LFS guy about it tomorrow he would definitely know for sure. Hes the one who gave me the info to pass on to you earlier! ;)
  16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

17. Fishboy123 Member Member

18. Fishboy123 Member Member

I might get a used filter cartridge from my established tank and put it in the filter. Then I could do a fishless cycle and add some source of ammonia to start it. Or by putting a used filter cartridge and TSS, I think I can get away with a fish in cycle with Shellie's?

19. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

S.Lucipinnis is often sold as petricolas & they are smaller so that could be what you're getting.
    As for taking advice from an Lfs I'd double check whatever you're told as often their advice isn't the best unfortunately.
  20. Fishboy123 Member Member

That could be it I'll make sure I check and also research a bit about that species