Synodontis or Bristlenose with Haps and Peacocks?

1. l

lol Valued Member Member

Going to be setting up a 75-gallon to house hap/peacock cichlids, and I'm looking for a bottom feeder to add some character to the tank. I'm trying to choose between Syno. Featherfin, or an albino Bristlenose Pleco. Here's the current idea of a stock list (1 male of each unless stated otherwise):

-cherryfin borleyi
    -kyoga flameback
    -placidochromis phenochilus 1 male 3 females
    -zebra obliquidens 1 male 3 females
    -sunshine peacock (might actually try to breed these in another tank)
    -ob peacock
    -steveni taiwan reef
    -red top trewavasae

This list may be subject to a couple changes but as you can see I have some females mixed in. Those are the ones I'd like to see breed, so I don't want any Multipunctatus messing it up, which is why I'd prefer a Featherfin catfish or Bristlenose Pleco even though I like the look of the Multipunctatus.

My questions are the following:
    1) Will Syno. Featherfin catfish eat cichlid eggs or fry?
    2) Will a Bristlenose Pleco generally be alright with peacocks/haps? I've heard many mixed thoughts about these with mbunas but not peacocks or haps.
    3) If Featherfins will not disturb breeding or eat fry before I can pull them (I've heard that they are sometimes put in tanks for fry control) then would they be a better choice than a Bristlenose?

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I would do a group of Synodontis lucipinnis/petricola. Most petricola on the market are actually lucipinnis. They have a similar look to multis but don't grow as large or mess up cichlid spawns.

3. OP
    OP
    l

lol Valued Member Member

I went to my LFS a couple days ago and they didn't have those types of Synodontis. They only had Multipunctatus, Featherfins, and a bunch of plecos, which is why they're what I was choosing between. I don't want to order online, but I think I can request for my LFS to find lucipinnis/petricola for me. Thanks.