Synodontis or Bristlenose with Haps and Peacocks?

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by lol, Jun 26, 2016.

1. lolValued MemberMember

Going to be setting up a 75-gallon to house hap/peacock cichlids, and I'm looking for a bottom feeder to add some character to the tank. I'm trying to choose between Syno. Featherfin, or an albino Bristlenose Pleco. Here's the current idea of a stock list (1 male of each unless stated otherwise):

-cherryfin borleyi
    -kyoga flameback
    -placidochromis phenochilus 1 male 3 females
    -zebra obliquidens 1 male 3 females
    -sunshine peacock (might actually try to breed these in another tank)
    -ob peacock
    -steveni taiwan reef
    -red top trewavasae

This list may be subject to a couple changes but as you can see I have some females mixed in. Those are the ones I'd like to see breed, so I don't want any Multipunctatus messing it up, which is why I'd prefer a Featherfin catfish or Bristlenose Pleco even though I like the look of the Multipunctatus.

My questions are the following:
    1) Will Syno. Featherfin catfish eat cichlid eggs or fry?
    2) Will a Bristlenose Pleco generally be alright with peacocks/haps? I've heard many mixed thoughts about these with mbunas but not peacocks or haps.
    3) If Featherfins will not disturb breeding or eat fry before I can pull them (I've heard that they are sometimes put in tanks for fry control) then would they be a better choice than a Bristlenose?

2. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

I would do a group of Synodontis lucipinnis/petricola. Most petricola on the market are actually lucipinnis. They have a similar look to multis but don't grow as large or mess up cichlid spawns.

3. OP
    OP
    l

lolValued MemberMember

I went to my LFS a couple days ago and they didn't have those types of Synodontis. They only had Multipunctatus, Featherfins, and a bunch of plecos, which is why they're what I was choosing between. I don't want to order online, but I think I can request for my LFS to find lucipinnis/petricola for me. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice