Synodontis angelicus Not Eating

ginkgomw

So... Long story. I recently got a Synodontis angelicus that is new to me, but he's at least 5 years old and very stunted. He came from one of the tanks that my mom keeps and maintains in her office waiting room - a 29 gallon. She has kept fish for decades, so the water quality was fine, and the 29 was supposed to be a temporary home for him while he grew out to go in a 56 with some assorted SA cichlids, like she had done with her previous one that was massive and lived for 21 years. Fast forward 5-ish years, and this guy spent his entire life hiding in an ornament and hardly ever came out. She would drop food by him, and presumably he ate enough to survive, but the lack of nutrition has left him at around 3". She and I swapped him for a couple yoyo loaches I used to have in my 40 breeder, so now he's in my tank. So far, he's doing really well, and I actually see him most of the day! I'm not sure if it's the high filtration levels, more space, tons of less secluding decor, or what, but she's very jealous of how active he is! The only problem is, he still hardly eats. He gets excited about food, but he just runs right over it. I've only seen him actually eat a couple flakes so far, and I've dropped sinking wafers near him, but my juvenile blood parrot usually gets to it first. Any advice for helping this guy plump up a little? Does anyone have experience with these guys not eating, and what foods did they find irresistible?

awilkinson871

Try placing wafers or sinking pellets inside of a decor item he likes. It should keep the parrot from getting to it and if he likes to go inside the decor he will obviously find it.

ginkgomw

Try placing wafers or sinking pellets inside of a decor item he likes. It should keep the parrot from getting to it and if he likes to go inside the decor he will obviously find it.
Thanks for the advice! I'd been dropping stuff near his spot anyway, but now he's settled in enough that I actually saw him eat some pellets this morning. My mom was absolutely shocked lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishPlanet
  • bristoltonya
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
idk
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch