Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Synodontis Addition?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by crashdiamond, Feb 17, 2019.

1. crashdiamondValued MemberMember

Hello all! I’ve been doing some research about Synodontis catfish. My mom has a 55g tank with one plecostomus, one glofish Rainbow shark, two sailfin mollies, 6-7 neon Tetras, a lone raspbora, and 4 giant Danios. Would it be safe to add a synodontis? I understand they’re semi-aggressive, would he be an issue to anyone currently living in the tank? Thanks!

2. FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Generally speaking, the synodontis should be fine with the stocking you have, just know they can get big enough to eat smaller fish. But rarely do they really cause a problem.

3. Michael.j.gomezValued MemberMember

Hello, I have a 6" featherfin squeaker(synodontis eupterus) in 55gal. Tankmates-1×br parrot,3×yoyo loach,6×alb corys & 2×bn plecos. All purchased when sm(1/4"-1/2") w/no aggression towards any. She's very docile(believe female, belly round)& seems to get annoyed when tankmates bother her. The only issue you may have is w/shark(cyprinidae family can be very aggressive & territorial). They will be compete for many of the same areas, food & hiding spots in tank. Hope this helps!

4. DonthemonValued MemberMember

I have two with my Cichlids, no problems.

5. Maya BooneValued MemberMember

I had a featherfin as well (this was in my days of uneducated fishkeeping) with several species of smaller fish before he outgrew my tank and I found a home for him. He was very peaceful and never bothered anyone else. Definitely a great choice, just be aware that they eat like pigs! ;)

6. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

It’ll probably eat your neons, and argue with the plec for the best hiding place.