Synodontis Addition?

crashdiamond

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all! I’ve been doing some research about Synodontis catfish. My mom has a 55 gallon tank with one plecostomus, one glofish Rainbow shark, two sailfin mollies, 6-7 neon Tetras, a lone raspbora, and 4 giant Danios. Would it be safe to add a synodontis? I understand they’re semi-aggressive, would he be an issue to anyone currently living in the tank? Thanks!

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Generally speaking, the synodontis should be fine with the stocking you have, just know they can get big enough to eat smaller fish. But rarely do they really cause a problem.

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I have a 6" featherfin squeaker(synodontis eupterus) in 55gal. Tankmates-1×br parrot,3×yoyo loach,6×alb corys & 2×bn plecos. All purchased when sm(1/4"-1/2") w/no aggression towards any. She's very docile(believe female, belly round)& seems to get annoyed when tank mates bother her. The only issue you may have is w/shark(cyprinidae family can be very aggressive & territorial). They will be compete for many of the same areas, food & hiding spots in tank. Hope this helps!

Maya Boone

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a featherfin as well (this was in my days of uneducated fishkeeping) with several species of smaller fish before he outgrew my tank and I found a home for him. He was very peaceful and never bothered anyone else. Definitely a great choice, just be aware that they eat like pigs!

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’ll probably eat your neons, and argue with the plec for the best hiding place.

New Threads