Syno Catfish and Red Tailed Shark

witeout

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just got my 29 Gallon tank a week ago (currently in the process of cycling).
Right now I have 3 Tiger Barbs and 1 Male 1 Female Cherry barb in the tank.

I was wondering if first off a Featherfin catfish would be okay living with the barbs, and second if a RTS and Featherfin could get along together?

Thanks, Eric

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Featherfin cats get 8" long so I'm going to have to reccomend against that for such a small tank. Also RTS get pretty large as well I want to say 6 to 8 inches but I'm not positive on that one you could look it up if you really want an exact number.

Unfortunatly tiger barbs really only do well with other tiger barbs. They either kill other fish, or they chase them around until they get stressed and die. The more tigers you have the better chance you'll have with them not being terrorists on your tank.

Also you should read up on the nitrogen cycle you really shouldn't have any fish in your tank at all at this point in time.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with e_wastson, I think that both of the fish you have mentioned would be too big and aggresive for your tank, and if you were to keep one of them, it would have to be alone.
However I do disagree with tigers must be alone otherwise they kill other fish. I have 4 green tiger barbs in my 72G with boseman rainbows, parrot cichlids and even angelfish and none of them are nipped at all, but I could have just got lucky.

Maybe you could do some research on fishless cycling, its a lot more pleasent on the fish because your barbs will go through a lot of stress being used to cycle.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know about having cherries and tigers together. I've had both, but in separate tanks. The cherries will need 5-6 to feel comfortable, as will the tigers. So, before you consider adding other fish, you might want to see how you make out with the two barb species. You may end up having to return one of them.

I have a rainbow shark in a 46 gallon and wouldn't recommend a lesser size tank.

witeout

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well from what i've read, and from a good friend whose been an aqurist for many years is to cycle your tank with a few very hardly little fish like these barbs, I haven't bought the less hardly fish yet waiting for the nitrogen cycle to complete first.

It says that RTS only get up to 4" in size and featherfin get up to 6", anyone own some that know for sure? I might get a bigger tank in the future, this is just my starter tank.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm

Actually, it's up to 6 inches. I believe that in the case of fish like sharks, it's not so much the size they'll reach, as the amount of tank they need. They cover a lot of ground, so to speak, so need ample swimming space.

Edited to add: Here's another link to info on the RTS. They recommend a 55 gallon tank.

Last edited:

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have syno hybrid that's close in relation to the featherfin, and it's 6"-7" after having it for 9 months. I made the mistake and had my syno in a 29g as well. I'm finally upgrading to a 55g next weekend and will be adding a shark by the end of the summer. I really like my syno and the sharks look awesome, so I'm hopeful that it will work out.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

I have a Rainbow Shark (same family as the Red Tail Shark) and it's currently 6 inches. They will grow in circumference too as the years go by.

My personal opinion is these fish (Rainbow and Red Tail Sharks) should be in 55g or more. Even in my 265g my Rainbow Shark gives my Silver Dollars a run for their money. Luckily they have room to escape the chasing and they're very fast.

The aggression may not happen right away but as the Shark acclimates to his new surroundings, chances are you're going to see some aggression regardless of the tank size. The larger the tank the more room your other fish have to escape. Very territorial species.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have any RTS myself but I know lots of eople that do & they definitley get to at least 6", sometimes a little more. Activity & aggression play a big part in the size tank they need. I do have a Featherfin & they definitely get to 8". They get there very fast to. Without doubt the fastest growing fish I have ever had. Featerfins are not aggressive but they certainly won't like the high activity levels & aggressive nature of Tiger Barbs. I wouldn't have a Featherfin & Tiger Barbs in the same tank regardless of the tanks size.

Platyben, I think you have gotten lucky, especially with the Tiger Barbs not nipping at the Angels. It doesn't surprise me that they leave the Parrots & the Rainbows alone but it does that they don't smash the Angels. Some people have all the luck.

witeout

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for all the input guys, so far the tiger barbs and cherry barbs seem to get along great with each other, looks like feather fin is out of the question for now, I'll prob just get a RTS in the mean time and when it gets to big i'll start up a 55 Gallon tank

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know for certain the RTS get up to 6 inches. I work at a pet store and that's like the third most common fish we people bringing us because of size and they come in around 4 to 6 inches. (the most often brought in are plecos, then oscars, then RTS and Rainbowsharks)

I personally have never owned a syno cat but I did do a little research before I posted the first time so the number I posted for them was what the internet said.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom