Symmetrical "pin Holes" On Betta's Head- What Are They?

fish_ninja
HI everyone,

I have a Betta who appears to be in great health however I've noticed that he has several pin-hole sized dots on his head. They appear to be symmetrical so I am thinking this is part of their anatomy, but I'm not sure. If they are, I would love to know what they are. I have tried to look up pictures but can't find any pictures of Bettas with similar dots, although my guy has light coloring so they are more noticeable.

I've included some pictures hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. He is not easy to capture on camera
Can anyone put my mind at ease? Thanks!
IMG_2247.jpg
IMG-2275.JPG

Sarah73
I have never seen a betta with that....do you see any worms hanging out?

fish_ninja
I have never seen a betta with that....do you see any worms hanging out?
Hmm okay, good to know. I have not seen any worms. Also, I realized both pics are of the same side - they are on both sides of his face. No dots like this on the rest of his body. When I first got him I treated with ParaGuard although I don't think that would treat internal parasites?

Sarah73
Hmm okay, good to know. I have not seen any worms. Also, I realized both pics are of the same side - they are on both sides of his face. No dots like this on the rest of his body. When I first got him I treated with ParaGuard although I don't think that would treat internal parasites?
Then likely it's not any worms....hmm

Demeter
They are likely just sensory pits, most fish have fin holes here and there on their heads that allow them to sense things in their environment.

fish_ninja
They are likely just sensory pits, most fish have fin holes here and there on their heads that allow them to sense things in their environment.

This seems to fit the bill!

Sarah73
If the betta isn't acting weird or anything then you are good. Agree with Demeter

fish_ninja
If the betta isn't acting weird or anything then you are good. Agree with Demeter

Awesome - yes he is pretty active, eating normally, swims over when I walk over to the tank thank you both

Iverg1
I know you guys are probably right. I just can't help but have second thoughts. Theres a little voice in my head that goes. "Just because there aren't worms doesn't mean it can't be HITH" I'll just want to check Fanatic Repolie Goldiemom Gypsy13 also Gypsy the holes go from the top right of his head with three holes leading to his gill where there is one hole at the top of his gill there is also a hole right in the middle of the gill. Also also sorry if I'm freaking out over nothing.

Fanatic
I think those are sensory pits.

Repolie
Just sensory receptors.

Goldiemom
Seriously? I’ll be darn. Learn something new tonight!

Gypsy13
I know you guys are probably right. I just can't help but have second thoughts. Theres a little voice in my head that goes. "Just because there aren't worms doesn't mean it can't be HITH" I'll just want to check Fanatic Repolie Goldiemom Gypsy13 also Gypsy the holes go from the top right of his head with three holes leading to his gill where there is one hole at the top of his gill there is also a hole right in the middle of the gill. Also also sorry if I'm freaking out over nothing.

Understand your concern. The betta’s eyesight isn’t great so it has these sensory pits that run along the lateral line. So it’s certainly understandable how easy it would be to think Hith or HLLE. But these just sound like normal betta.

CanadianFishFan
Yep! sensory pores are easier to see on lighter colored betta bodys. Or else you don't notice them.

fish_ninja
Seriously? I’ll be darn. Learn something new tonight!
I know!

Thank you everybody for your responses- I was not getting alerts and didn’t realize more of you had chimes in. I feel more at ease for sure.

If it were HITH what other signs should I look out for?

smee82
It looks like its lateral line is infected with something quite possibly hith. The 2nd pic shows it clearer then the 1st if you blow it up.

fish_ninja
It looks like its lateral line is infected with something quite possibly hith. The 2nd pic shows it clearer then the 1st if you blow it up.

What can I treat with?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
wellsharley
Top Bottom