Sydontis Cats for Different Tanks

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm having a heck of a time sorting through the sydontis species and their requirements and compatible tankmates. I'm finding so many pictus species on Aquabid, but I don't want to goof and end up with a problem.

What I'm looking for is:

Sydontis species for 75 gallon GT/Salvini cichlid tank.

Non-poky (if possible) pictus species for 90 gallon oscar tank

Sydontis species for 55 gallon JD/Convict tank.

Can anyone help advise me?

Thanks

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im sure this isnt any help.....but I have ( I guess just one of the common ones) in with my parrots...Ive had him since the beginning....he doesn't bother anybody xcept for 1 parrot(I guess that's their thing).....a long time ago(when we fist got started)my daughter had cichlids(i don't even know now what kind they were)...but feather fins were very highly recommended them (water wise and tempermant wise)...I still have the feather fin also....love them both

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL didnt know there were different pictus LOL .....I have a few Pictus catfish - Pimelodus pictus also....and they have/are been with all the fish you have listed....minus the salvini's as ive never kept them

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
lorabell said:
Im sure this isnt any help.....but I have ( I guess just one of the common ones) in with my parrots...Ive had him since the beginning....he doesn't bother anybody xcept for 1 parrot(I guess that's their thing).....a long time ago(when we fist got started)my daughter had cichlids(i don't even know now what kind they were)...but feather fins were very highly recommended them (water wise and tempermant wise)...I still have the feather fin also....love them both
Shawnie said:
LOL didnt know there were different pictus LOL .....I have a few Pictus catfish - Pimelodus pictus also....and they have/are been with all the fish you have listed....minus the salvini's as ive never kept them
Thank you ladies.

I just figured out-I gave the wrong species. It's the SYDONTIS I'm researching. Wow, I'm having a parental moment for sure. Sorry guys. Is there any way a mod could change the title? Please?

I found sydontis angelicus (REALLY expensive-I ain't doing that) and some others on Aquabid. Some are really pretty.

It's crazy, when I google them in gives information, but not compatibility suggestions. Without that, it's hard for me to come up with the correct tank for them and a backup plan.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would this help?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I saw those earlier, but you just gave me a fabulous idea on how to research!

Instead of trying to find compatible tankmates, I could research their natural environment and see what species exist around them in the wild. Most of them are wild-caught anyways.

Thanks, Lynda

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
:-*

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BB....check out the feather fin........my poor guy(pre-FL) was even in with puffers, he is now in the monster tank....does great...I was told by a breeder that they do very well with all kinds of cichlids,for the water and tempermant reasons (they can with stand some of our "TUFFER" babies......but mine has never bothered the easier goin ones either)......I have one of each in the MONSTER TANK...lol......the pictus does "challenge" one of my parrots.....lol...but the feather fin never bothers anyone....hes awesome and does a great clean up job......

DUH!!!!!!! the syndontis is the one Ive been calling feather fin.....sorry if I was confussing.....lol....I am confussed myself!!!!!!!...I hope u see this

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SYDONTIS from what I can find, like the african type setups...higher ph, more caves n such, and lots of activity.....saweet fish!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
lorabell said:
BB....check out the feather fin........my poor guy(pre-FL) was even in with puffers, he is now in the monster tank....does great...I was told by a breeder that they do very well with all kinds of cichlids,for the water and tempermant reasons (they can with stand some of our "TUFFER" babies......but mine has never bothered the easier goin ones either)......I have one of each in the MONSTER TANK...lol......the pictus does "challenge" one of my parrots.....lol...but the feather fin never bothers anyone....hes awesome and does a great clean up job......

DUH!!!!!!! the syndontis is the one Ive been calling feather fin.....sorry if I was confussing.....lol....I am confussed myself!!!!!!!...I hope u see this
I'll DEFINITELY have to check out the feather fins.

Shawnie said:
SYDONTIS from what I can find, like the african type setups...higher ph, more caves n such, and lots of activity.....saweet fish!
Hmmm...I only have one african tank that I'm willing to add fish to. That's the 29 gallon Daffodil. If I add any more fish to my 75 gallon, I'm pretty sure I'll have water parameter issues.

Can I put a couple in the 29 gallon?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bolivianbaby said:
I'll DEFINITELY have to check out the feather fins.

Hmmm...I only have one african tank that I'm willing to add fish to. That's the 29 gallon Daffodil. If I add any more fish to my 75 gallon, I'm pretty sure I'll have water parameter issues.

Can I put a couple in the 29 gallon?
not sure as ive never had them...but most of what I'm reading, is they like the higher ph setups..are most of your tanks on the higher side?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Daffodils have a PH of 8.0. They're from Lake Tang (I can't spell the whole thing) in Africa. There's only three daffys in that tank. It has a sand bottom, a few caves, and soon will have some cichlid stones as well.

However, most of my tanks run a PH of 7.6. Are you about to totally make my day and suggest that I could put them in any of my 7.6PH tanks that have a large enough footprint and low enough stocking?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://badmanstropicalfish.com/syn_catfish.html

seems by a few articles, yes you could....but I'm reading they arent aggressive and arent very visible most of the time with much lighting...more of night time activity..as well some can get large....im sure you can figure which tanks would be great for them

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Shawnie said:
https://badmanstropicalfish.com/syn_catfish.html

seems by a few articles, yes you could....but I'm reading they arent aggressive and arent very visible most of the time with much lighting...more of night time activity..as well some can get large....im sure you can figure which tanks would be great for them

WOOHOO! Thank you so much

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Although expensive, Angelicus are absolutly fabulous!!! I have one in my 72G in my american cichlid community I bought mine for £30 at about 1.5", he is now pushing 5" after about 1 year and 7 months
So any info on syno angelicus I'm happy to provide

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
platy ben said:
Although expensive, Angelicus are absolutly fabulous!!! I have one in my 72G in my american cichlid community I bought mine for £30 at about 1.5", he is now pushing 5" after about 1 year and 7 months
So any info on syno angelicus I'm happy to provide
Thanks, Ben! I'll be keeping a close eye on Aquabid and with any luck, I'll be taking you up on that offer;D

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Synodontis are fantastic. They come from all kinds of environments from acidic rivers to alkaline rift lakes. Most of them are highly adaptable so you shouldn't have any problems keeping them at a PH of 7.6 at all. Even Cuckoo Catfish (S. Multipunctatus) can be kept comfortably at PH 7.6.

Fetherfins (S. Eupterus) would work in all of those tanks. Some floating plants (real or fake) to diffuse the light will have them more active during the day. Keep only one Featherfin per tank as they are aggressive towards their own kind. Banded Synodontis (S. Brichardi) would also be good for those same tanks. For a really cool Syno check out the Pajama Catfish (S. Flavitaeniatus). They are peacefull towards each other & are diurnally active when kept in groups of 3 or more. Angelicus are super cool & would be quite suitable as well but they do appreciate a decent current in the water.

Given the number of Synodontis species there are (over 100) & the wide range of environments they come from, you should be able to track down a few different ones that suit you. Planet Catfish is probably a good place to start to get specifics.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads