Swordtails 15 Gallon Tank

1. Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

I have a small tank which currently houses 3 small swordtails and a bristlenose pleco. I am worried as the swordtails have already had about 8 offspring. What should i do?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

They will continue to breed. Get a 29 gallon for your adult fish and keep the babies in the 15. Feed them crushed flakes, live brine shrimp and diced veggies. When they are big enough not to be eaten, add them to your main tank.

Eventually you will be overrun with swordtails so you will have to sell lots of them.

Best of luck:)

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider splitting up the sexes and have males in one and females in another- or rehome one of the sexes. Females are able to store sperm for a couple of months without any interaction with males, resulting in 'virgin' births so its worth to bare in mind.

4. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

I intend to get a 29 gallon but my partner says i need a better job first lol. They were sold as koi swordtails. But have settled in well considering they are our first fish. I will try and get a second tank in the mean time is it possible to rehome them?

Attached Files:

5. Discus-Tang

Yes, it would be very good to rehome the babies as they get eaten. If you're in america you can get a 29 gallon tank in PetCo for $29 dollars. It's a sporadic sale though, so keep an eye out for that.

6. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

The parents dont seem remotely interested in eating the little ones in the tank but maybe its while we arent watching. I don't like the idea of them getting eaten but i love the fish.

7. Discus-Tang

If you have a rubbermaid tub lying around that is about 10 gallons, that will do.

8. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

Thats a good idea. I dont have one though. I have some bladder snails that hitch hiked too :/ i think they came on a plant

9. Discus-Tang

Maybe hire an Assassin Snail to eliminate them...

10. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Rehoming the babies will be fine. Depending on the fish store, they may even trade for stock/equipment (like food, decor ect) or even cash/instore credit.

11. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

That would be so amazing if they take them to find homes for them. Thank you both for your advice :)

12. Discus-Tang

Any day :D

Everyone on this thread is Australian lol

13. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

I guess australians like fish?

14. Discus-Tang

We did destroy our (once) beautiful reef :(

15. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

Id like to see it before its gone the reef :(

16. Discus-Tang

I was lucky enough to see it, but I was 4-5 years old so I don't remember it all that well :(

17. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

Also quick question my tank is too alkaline at ph7.8 how much sodium bi phosphate do i add to the tank. I was thinking of adding a level teaspoon and testing again tommorrow to recorrect

18. Discus-Tang

Sodium biphosphate causes more harm than good. Use indian almond leaves & driftwood instead.

19. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

Thanks im off to the fish shop to get the water tested again just to be sure and buy some supplies

20. OP
    OP
    Annie1

Annie1 New Member Member

Got a few indian almond leaves and water testing kits. Looks like our water was almost perfect. Also the lfs said they would take a few extra kidlets so i guess our problem is solved temporarily