Swordtails

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by BuddyD, Apr 13, 2017.

1. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

I like the looks of swordtails but many years ago I had them and this one male would seek out fry relentlessly. He just wouldn't quit. So i'm leery of trying them again.

Do you think this was just an isolated occurance or are Swordtails all like this?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Almost all fish hunt fry relentlessly

3. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Only get one Male? and no females? Unless your tank already has a combination that is producing fry.

If there is already fry in the tank you could just put in think plants or d├ęcor that the fry can hide in.

4. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

As BottomDweller said, most fish will hunt fry, although I did have some cherry barb fry survive in a community tank. Sheer luck in my part - I didn't know they were there.

If you want to try to raise fry, I'd set up a separate tank for them, but with livebearers, tbh, I'd be tempted to let nature takes its course, other than providing plenty of hiding places. Otherwise, you could soon be overrun. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice