Swordtails-too aggressive?

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Well, I made a tough decision today, and decided to rehome my black swordtail male, Zoro, he is such a good looking fish but seems to be getting more aggressive, picking on the platies and now on Cuchillo, the remaining swordtail female.(some of you may have heard about poor Espada):(

Are swordtails generally a more aggressive fish? The LFS says I can keep them with platies but I don't want my platies harassed to death like Espada was!:mad:

How do you guys think my lone female sword will get along as the only one, she is smaller, more platy-size, will she become one of them? Would another female sword be a more peaceful choice or should I stay away from them all together?

Is there a prize for long-winded questions, I seem to have lots of those?!

2. VenomGrass Member Member

Aw sorry to heat about this.. I had to re-home my albino rainbow shark yesterday as she was really picking on my platies and nipping all of their fins, It's a hard thing to do but for the best and much easier to do sooner than later (you become really attached and try to convince yourself there isn't a problem huh) well I did..

Anyway, From what I have heard sword tails are generally a peaceful fish. However, if there is any violence it is often between two males; and the sword tails will pick on platy males. So I think that 2 females should be fine; but she will also get on well with the platies they are a very similar fish.

Sorry if this isn't helpful
    Dan

3. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Dan-thanks, I am considering getting another female swordtail, I will see first how my single one makes out on her own with the platies. There's been a lot of drama in my tank lately so I am holding off on any new additions for a bit.

You have a baby platy too?:) Mine is a mickey mouse baby, orange with black markings. They are so cute!

4. VenomGrass Member Member

Same here! the mother is a pure, the baby has the black markings. So i'm guessing she was messing around at the LFS prior to purchase haha! They are very cute indeed - Cant wait until the baby grows up and I can remove from the breeder net. How old is your fry?

5. Llama Well Known Member Member

Wow, heard about swortail aggression, but never thought it was THAT bad. I have a single female swordtail - she is pretty much the biggest fish here, and she doesn't harass anyone or anything, she's very quiet and usually stays at the bottom on her own or with the platies. She's never gotten pregnant yet - but she seems to be at home with the platies.

6. Randog Initiate Member

Depending on how big the tank is, a male sword will express his aggression on other swords and platys (Especially the males) if they are too crowded. That why I generally keep my individual male swords in their own tank.

If you were to move your male sword out and replace him with a new female the rest of the tank should get along well, provided it isn't already too over crowded.

I assume that you already have your new little one seperated out from the rest. Is it in a container within your tank or is in in it own? If you are using a "baby fish trap" of some sort in the parent tank, then its presence may be what is crowding. Crowding can be cause by structure as much as number of fish.

7. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Randog-Since I wrote this thread, I re-homed my last Swordtail, now I just have platies and a Gourami, along with my cories. Everyone gets along very well now, and baby platy is all grown up! I like swords but I think they need their own tank or something...