Swordtails - sexing and a bent tail

mukg

Hello, I have some swordtails and wanted some help with identification/gender etc.

1. I wanted to see if I got the breeds/sexes right?

male
Koi Sanke (pic 1)

koi sanke 1.jpeg

neon (pic 2)

neon swordtail 1.jpeg

Black (pics 3 and 4)

koi kahku and black 1.jpeg
koi kahku and black 2.jpeg

female:
koi kahaku (pics 3, 4 and 5)

koi kahaku 1.jpeg

Do all male swordtails have swords, or can some not a sword. I thought the Koi Kahaku in the 2nd/3rd picture was a female earlier on since it did not have a sword, but it has since grown and seems to have a thin rod like analfin instead of a rounded fin. Or is this a male koi variantplaty?

2. The red and white koi seems to have a long pink/orange poop tail. Is this normal?

3. neon sword tail seems to have developed a bend at the very tip of the sword. Is this normal or anything to be concerned about?

4. Can swordtails and platys of different colors breed interchangably?

bump

Oriongal

Hello, I have some swordtails and wanted some help with identification/gender etc.

Sorry, didn't see this post earlier - there is a forum specifically for swordtails under 'livebearers', will be more likely to get the attention of swordtail-keepers if you post there.

1. I wanted to see if I got the breeds/sexes right?

Looks right to me, though the kohaku appears to be a late-developing male rather than a female. I had that issue with them as well, I think it took me five tries to get a female kohaku that was in fact a female.

Do all male swordtails have swords, or can some not a sword. I thought the Koi Kahaku in the 2nd/3rd picture was a female earlier on since it did not have a sword, but it has since grown and seems to have a thin rod like analfin instead of a rounded fin. Or is this a male koi variantplaty?
Welcome to the world of the [surprise!] late-developing swordtail male. Can see pics in the below linked post of the evolution of one of mine, that looked like a pregnant female complete with gravid spot.

Swordtail male acting weird | Swordtails 441042

Some males mature very early and don't get very large; I recently posted a video of one of those here: At what age do swordtails get their "sword"? | Swordtails 444635

Most males mature normally, and some mature late; appearing to be females up to a year before developing a gonopodium and growing a sword.

A male can also lose his sword, it can be broken off or lost in a case of finrot; but it will usually grow back. (Yours doesn't show any evidence of that though, it looks like it just hasn't started growing it yet.)

2. The red and white koi seems to have a long pink/orange poop tail. Is this normal?
Not sure what you're asking?

If you're talking about a long string of poop, then yes; the color will usually be the same as the color of whatever you're feeding them. And they'll often produce a long string before it falls off, yes.

3. neon sword tail seems to have developed a bend at the very tip of the sword. Is this normal or anything to be concerned about?
I've had a couple that arrived that way, including the one in my profile pic. It appeared that it might have been caught in a fold of the transport bag and bent. Didn't seem to affect them any.

4. Can swordtails and platys of different colors breed interchangably?
Yes, swords and platys can interbreed. Just so you know, the different color patterns of swordtails that you have are all the same species, Xiphophorus helleri; the names (like neon or black nubian or kohaku) are just the names of the particular color patterns.

There are also different species of swordtails, not as often seen in the hobby, such as Xiphophorus montezumae. Often referred to as 'wild-types', because they haven't been hybridized like the more common X. helleri has.

it is a male if it were a female its anul part would be fan shaped

mukg

Thanks OrionGal, I will try to place the thread in the right forum next time.

I am guessing I did not look for the gonopodium given the lack of a sword. I thought it was getting pregnant earlier due to the rounded belly and the opening above the gonopodium.

Any chance the bent tail straightens itself out for the neon in due course? So far, it does not seem to affect its movement.

Oriongal

Mine didn't; but at some point since he's been outside (me not having eyes on him daily), he lost the last third or so of his sword and it's growing back straight.

mukg

Glad to hear!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Oriongal
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Oriongal