Reaction score
Experience
1 year

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size tank and how is your water hardness ?
I keep and breed swordtails and think they are pretty durable fish .

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swordtails are pretty durable so I wonder if maybe you're just getting a bad batch. Have all of these came from the same store?

Mosko

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My PH is around 7.5 and i have a 40 gallon tank. Lately I got them recently from Petco but in the past i got a few from Petsmart.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Always the same type or have you tried different varieties? There are some varieties that are less hardy than others but generally swordtails are pretty hardy.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Could you give us a history of this tank and specific numbers on all of the parameters? That the other fish are fine could just mean they have adapted to the circumstances, whereas the new fish cannot.

How long has it been set up? When were all of those fish added (including the ones in it)? How often do you do water changes and how much %? What are you parameters exactly and did you measure them right after the swordtails died? Were there any symptoms at all? Have you gone back to the shop to see how the other swordtails are doing? How do you acclimate them? Tank temp?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What temp is the tank? I have swordtails in relatively soft water and find it very difficult to kill them. Only real complaint is they refuse to eat my guppy frys.

Mosko

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank has been up and running for about 9 months. I dont check the exact numbers on my parameters. I just make sure I have the right colors on my API Master test kit. I do around 20 -25% water change every week.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless your tank is really dirty (high nitrate) i suspect it is something else - what sort of fish does well in the tank also what sort of shop are you buying them from ? The guppies i buy from my local lfs never seem to last long but the second generation does really well (i.,e the shop might be selling you weak fishes). If all your fishes are dying there might be heavy metal or other containment in your water.

Mosko

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jake37 said:
Unless your tank is really dirty (high nitrate) i suspect it is something else - what sort of fish does well in the tank also what sort of shop are you buying them from ? The guppies i buy from my local lfs never seem to last long but the second generation does really well (i.,e the shop might be selling you weak fishes). If all your fishes are dying there might be heavy metal or other containment in your water.
Refer to my first post.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well platy and swords are tightly related so if the platys are doing well and the swordtails are not i'd try another store.

Mosko said:
Refer to my first post.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads