Swordtails keep dying on me

TheGamerFish

First time posting on the forum sorry if I post it in the wrong place.

I had bought around 6-8 swordtails from both Petco and Pet Supermarket and one by one they all started dying on me. They would start heavily breathing at the bottom and tops of the aquarium for 2-3 days before passing. They wouldn't do it all at once it would be one by one. Eventually I was left with only one male. I had other fish in the tank at the time (3 African Dwarf Frogs, 4 Honey Gourami, 4 Kuhli Loaches, 4 otoscinculus) who did not show any signs similar to the sword tails. I do have a heater and had my aquarium at 78, I also bought a bubbler thinking low oxygen was the problem(the bubbler did not change the outcome). I would appreciate any suggestions I would love to keep more swordtails.

Tank: 36 gallon bowfront
(current readings are Ammonia:0 nitrite:0 nitrate:10ppm)

connorjs1004

If you recently got them, I wouldn't be surprised if when you bought them they already had something wrong with them

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Maybe they already had a health problem. Maybe both stores had them from the same supplier and overthere they already might have a problem. I assume your parameters are okay?

Upvote 0

TheGamerFish

Maybe they already had a health problem. Maybe both stores had them from the same supplier and overthere they already might have a problem. I assume your parameters are okay?
Yeah my parameters were fine, I had other fish in there with them and showed no signs of ailment or anything like that. I wish I had taken video or photos but they would basically just sit at the bottom and tops and gasp for air

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Yeah my parameters were fine, I had other fish in there with them and showed no signs of ailment or anything like that. I wish I had taken video or photos but they would basically just sit at the bottom and tops and gasp for air
If other fish in there aren't showing the same symptoms, it must be something that only keeps those swords busy. A smear of the mucous membrane can be viewed for possible bacteria. You do need a microscope though. Maybe an lfs nearby may have one. Are there any bleeds in the skin?

Upvote 0

ForArtur

So weird, my beloved swordtail also started exhibiting these same symptoms overnight. I thought it was sbd and I tried to treat it but ended up killing him with the salt. So sad and so random. Only thing that changed in my tank was increased air coming through the air stone, but he was on the bottom of the tank, swimming erratically and in circles, gasping, I tested my parameters and they were fine and all other tankmates are fine :(

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
FishAndDoom
Replies
Views
Fishboy32
  • Question