Swordtails dying!

1. T

ToriLee215 New Member Member

I took a trip to the city and found pineapple swordtails. I instantly fell in love and bout one of the only two they had (both males) by the time I got home he had died. I chalked it up to the car ride or maybe separation from the other male. Wanting more pineapples I got my local pet store to order them. When they got here I bought one male and one female and one black male (as I had three black females and no boys at home) on the third or fourth day I had them the male died! So this past Tuesday I went back to the pet shop and bought the one male they had, a very young one. Today, Friday everything was all good the first two times they get feed and when I got off work I came home to find my male dead again, just sitting at the bottom of the tank just like the other two had done. I can't figure it out. My tanks not crowded. Other than my swordtails I have a couple platy (that I also got Tuesday) and up until Wednesday I had Cory cats in with them that got moved to my other tank because I had bought some peaceful catfish. I wanna figure out what's going on because I moved the Corcyra into my other tank that had one Plecoptera some Cory cats and all 30 of my baby (turn 3 weeks tomorrow) red wag swordtails. All my other fish are fine, even my black male who's fairly young looking. It only seems to be my pineapple MALES.

2. OP
    OP
    T

I checked on my fish again and found my female pineapple dead.

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What are the water parameters? What size tank? Did you QT the new fish?

Also just an FYI, platies and swordtails can hybridize. So unless you want that, I would remove one species ASAP.

4. OP
    OP
    T

Everything's good with the tank and I add Ph tablets as well as a type of medicine tablet meant to kill off disease when you add fish.

I know about the platys and swordtails. I'm trying to breed them for my local fish store. Although none of them are breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Everything is good with the tank.... It's clearly not, sorry to say. We need to know your actual water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Adding ph tablets as a medicine... Never heard of that. What medicinal properties do these tablets possess? My guess is they could be causing ph swings which would cause severe stress to the fish, opening them up to all kinds of bad things.

In my experience, platies and swordtails will not breed when they are I'll or under severe stress.

6. OP
    OP
    T

No I have ph tablets that I use when replacing water and then I have a different tablet that prevents diseases like ich and fin rot. I've also got a stress relief liquid recommended by a close friend that I use when needed

I had my water checked out by my local pet shop but they didn't give me specifics just said everything was good.

But I did notice my fish tank getting dirtier and dirtier and my filter became clogged so I stripped the tank clean and put new water in. I know your not supposed to do that but it was needed because another fish had died and it kept setting dirtier.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum