20 Gallon Tank Swordtails And Schooling Fish

caitlinemm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have a 20 gallon high that I want to stock more. I'm very interested in lyretail swordtails but I see that their is a large debate on whether or not they should be kept in a 20 or a 30 gallon at minimum. If not what would you all suggest in adding to the tank in terms of livebearers? (I already have a few guppies in there). I would also like a variety of schooling fish, preferably a small species, any suggestions?

Parameters:
pH: 6.8-7
temperature: 78
All water I use is from an R/O unit so it is very pure
Filter is a Top Fin Power 40

Stocking Now:
3 (soon to be 4) Emerald Green Cories
3 Male Guppies
1 Female Betta (very docile in nature, never flares and has been living in a community tank since she was the size of a guppy)

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Up the cories to six they are schooling fish and maybe you could fit a school of neons in there not sure check aquaadvisor

OP
caitlinemm

caitlinemm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Epicoz said:
Up the cories to six they are schooling fish and maybe you could fit a school of neons in there not sure check aquaadvisor
I have worked with Aqadvisor and because of my filter I can fit neons but I'm concerned about the temperature because they prefer cooler temperatures than my other fish

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look cramped in a standard 20. A 20 high wouldn't be enough horizontal room.

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah sorry didn’t think of that rummynose or do you have a preference you could get more guppies or just a centerpiece

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
caitlinemm said:
So I have a 20 gallon high that I want to stock more. I'm very interested in lyretail swordtails but I see that their is a large debate on whether or not they should be kept in a 20 or a 30 gallon at minimum. If not what would you all suggest in adding to the tank in terms of livebearers? (I already have a few guppies in there). I would also like a variety of schooling fish, preferably a small species, any suggestions?

Parameters:
pH: 6.8-7
temperature: 78
All water I use is from an R/O unit so it is very pure
Filter is a Top Fin Power 40

Stocking Now:
3 (soon to be 4) Emerald Green Cories
3 Male Guppies
1 Female Betta (very docile in nature, never flares and has been living in a community tank since she was the size of a guppy)
I would up your corys to 6 then add a platy or 2 their not really schoolers but they will hang out together even if you pick a couple different colors.. I believe swordtails can get to 4-5-6" that's why their probably not reccomended. (platy are livebearers also )
As far as a schooling fish look for a nano schooling fish and you could probably add 8-10 that would give the top to middle a nice look

OP
caitlinemm

caitlinemm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Epicoz said:
Yeah sorry didn’t think of that rummynose or do you have a preference you could get more guppies or just a centerpiece
The thought of getting more guppies crossed my mind because the ones I have currently behave kind of like schooling fish, and they are gorgeous

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do hang out together but are considered social fish since they don't show true schooling behaviour.

New Threads