Swordtails And Schooling Fish 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by caitlinemm, May 21, 2019.

1. caitlinemm

caitlinemmNew MemberMember

So I have a 20 gallon high that I want to stock more. I'm very interested in lyretail swordtails but I see that their is a large debate on whether or not they should be kept in a 20 or a 30 gallon at minimum. If not what would you all suggest in adding to the tank in terms of livebearers? (I already have a few guppies in there). I would also like a variety of schooling fish, preferably a small species, any suggestions?

Parameters:
    pH: 6.8-7
    temperature: 78
    All water I use is from an R/O unit so it is very pure
    Filter is a Top Fin Power 40

Stocking Now:
    3 (soon to be 4) Emerald Green Cories
    3 Male Guppies
    1 Female Betta (very docile in nature, never flares and has been living in a community tank since she was the size of a guppy)

2. Epicoz

EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Up the cories to six they are schooling fish and maybe you could fit a school of neons in there not sure check aquaadvisor

3. OP
    OP
    caitlinemm

I have worked with Aqadvisor and because of my filter I can fit neons but I'm concerned about the temperature because they prefer cooler temperatures than my other fish

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

They look cramped in a standard 20. A 20 high wouldn't be enough horizontal room.

5. Epicoz

EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Yeah sorry didn’t think of that rummynose or do you have a preference you could get more guppies or just a centerpiece

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

i would up your corys to 6 then add a platy or 2 their not really schoolers but they will hang out together even if you pick a couple different colors.. I believe swordtails can get to 4-5-6" thats why their probably not reccomended. (platy are livebearers also )
    As far as a schooling fish look for a nano schooling fish and you could probably add 8-10 that would give the top to middle a nice look

7. OP
    OP
    caitlinemm

The thought of getting more guppies crossed my mind because the ones I have currently behave kind of like schooling fish, and they are gorgeous

8. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

They do hang out together but are considered social fish since they don't show true schooling behaviour.