Swordtails already started breeding

Annie1
I have a small tank which currently houses 3 small swordtails and a bristlenose pleco. I am worried as the swordtails have already had about 8 offspring. What should I do?

Discus-Tang
They will continue to breed. Get a 29 gallon for your adult fish and keep the babies in the 15. Feed them crushed flakes, live brine shrimp and diced veggies. When they are big enough not to be eaten, add them to your main tank.

Eventually you will be overrun with swordtails so you will have to sell lots of them.

Best of luck

aussieJJDude
Consider splitting up the sexes and have males in one and females in another- or rehome one of the sexes. Females are able to store sperm for a couple of months without any interaction with males, resulting in 'virgin' births so its worth to bare in mind.

Annie1
I intend to get a 29 gallon but my partner says I need a better job first lol. They were sold as koi swordtails. But have settled in well considering they are our first fish. I will try and get a second tank in the mean time is it possible to rehome them?

Attachments

• IMG20180623184132.jpg
    IMG20180623184132.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 121
Discus-Tang
I intend to get a 29 gallon but my partner says I need a better job first lol. They were sold as koi swordtails. But have settled in well considering they are our first fish. I will try and get a second tank in the mean time is it possible to rehome them?
Yes, it would be very good to rehome the babies as they get eaten. If you're in america you can get a 29 gallon tank in PetCo for $29 dollars. It's a sporadic sale though, so keep an eye out for that.

Annie1
The parents don't seem remotely interested in eating the little ones in the tank but maybe its while we aren't watching. I don't like the idea of them getting eaten but I love the fish.

Discus-Tang
The parents don't seem remotely interested in eating the little ones in the tank but maybe its while we aren't watching. I don't like the idea of them getting eaten but I love the fish.
If you have a rubbermaid tub lying around that is about 10 gallons, that will do.

Annie1
That's a good idea. I don't have one though. I have some bladder snails that hitch hiked too :/ I think they came on a plant

Discus-Tang
That's a good idea. I don't have one though. I have some bladder snails that hitch hiked too :/ I think they came on a plant
Maybe hire an Assassin Snail to eliminate them...

aussieJJDude
Rehoming the babies will be fine. Depending on the fish store, they may even trade for stock/equipment (like food, decor ect) or even cash/instore credit.

Annie1
That would be so amazing if they take them to find homes for them. Thank you both for your advice

Discus-Tang
That would be so amazing if they take them to find homes for them. Thank you both for your advice
Any day

Everyone on this thread is Australian lol

Annie1
Any day

Everyone on this thread is Australian lol
I guess australians like fish?

Discus-Tang
I guess australians like fish?
We did destroy our (once) beautiful reef

Annie1
Id like to see it before its gone the reef

Discus-Tang
Id like to see it before its gone the reef
I was lucky enough to see it, but I was 4-5 years old so I don't remember it all that well

Annie1
Also quick question my tank is too alkaline at ph7.8 how much sodium bI phosphate do I add to the tank. I was thinking of adding a level teaspoon and testing again tommorrow to recorrect

Discus-Tang
Also quick question my tank is too alkaline at ph7.8 how much sodium bI phosphate do I add to the tank. I was thinking of adding a level teaspoon and testing again tommorrow to recorrect
Sodium biphosphate causes more harm than good. Use indian almond leaves & driftwood instead.

Annie1
Thanks I'm off to the fish shop to get the water tested again just to be sure and buy some supplies

Annie1
Got a few indian almond leaves and water testing kits. Looks like our water was almost perfect. Also the lfs said they would take a few extra kidlets so I guess our problem is solved temporarily

Annie1
I'm starting to feel bad about fish keeping. People are saying the tank is too small but they were sold to me by a reputable lfs so I don't understand. I'm just trying to keep them as happy as possible

aussieJJDude
Everyone has different ideals of tank requirements for fish... with this hobby, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Discus-Tang
I'm starting to feel bad about fish keeping. People are saying the tank is too small but they were sold to me by a reputable lfs so I don't understand. I'm just trying to keep them as happy as possible
It's a tad small; I recommended a 29 for this reason, and also so you can keep some of your babies Keep your head high, you're doing better than most!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views
Guanchy
Replies
Views
ItsLadyJadey
Replies
Views