Swordtail with ich

1. Aggie Initiate Member

Hello,
    A week ago tomorrow I moved all my fish over from their old 10 gallon tank to a 25 gallon tank, placing the old filter/cartage in the new tank to get the cycle. Here is the old thread with some other info on my tank in it: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ics/117688-advice-moving-fish-25-gl-tank.html

Anyway, before I moved them over I had been treated them for fungus and I think the meds worked (hopefully!). But now I think one of my young female swordtails has ich.... She has small white spots on her sides that aren’t very noticeable except right under the tank light, she’s acting lethargic, not eating, rubbing against tank fixtures, and kind of just hanging out near the top of the tank. Another is behaving similarly except I can’t see any white stuff on him. I noticed all these symptoms just this morning, because she was normal yesterday, though a couple of them, including her, have been having out near the top of the tank more.

I've read SO MUCH stuff around the internet and here about salt/heat treatment, but I'm planning on trying to get some medication tomorrow to treat it. What is most widely considered the best stuff to use to treat ich? Also, before I determined it was ich, I had done a 25% water change and added aquarium salt to my tank this morning, and right now I'm slowly heating up my tank's tamp right now. But what I need to know is: since I don't see ich on any of the others, should I quarantine the one I see with it? Should I clean the tank? Any help would be very much appreciated!!

These are my fish:
    One grown female swordtail
    6 small baby swordtails
    One "sucker" fish
    One small catfish
    And four small tetras
    One small hatchet fish

2. Shine Well Known Member Member

If it is truely ich, if one in the tank has it, then likely all will. Heat is really the best way to treat it. And further treating fish with medication when it isn't necessary is hard on them.

Personally I have only successfully treated ich with heat. I tried meds once and it managed to turn the silicone blue but did nothing else, so I can't really recommend any medication from experience.

3. cameronpalte Member Member

I recommend that if one fish in your tank has it then they all probably have it. While turning up the heat and adding salt (since it is only 25g this is easier), make sure to do 25% daily water changes with your gravel vac because the time you destroy ich is when the spores fall off and if they land in the gravel you can use your gravel vac to fix this.

Edit: I just saw this so I had to edit this post. You said you have on small catfish. Make sure to remove the catfish because since catfish are generally scaleless catfish are very sensitive to increase salt quantities in the water (I am pretty sure... confirm with others).

4. Aggie Initiate Member

Thanks for help guys! Alright, I'll try the salt, and yeah, I'll remove the cat fish. :3 Do I just use regular table salt? (Would sea salt work better?) It's one tablespoon per 5g right? How much should I add each day?

One thing I concerned out is that I'm not entirely sure if its ich now... it ALMOST seems like it could be the fungus. Possible both...? :\ The main reason I'm thinking it's more likely ich is because a couple of them keep rubbing against some fixtures occasionally (which they have NEVER done before) but they seem so have their appetite back now... If it strangely turns out to not be ich, would adding the salt just do harm to the fish?

EDIT: Also, with the types of fish I have do i have to be careful about raising the temps too fast?

5. Fall River Member Member

Hi, Generally speaking Ich looks like the fish have been sprinkled with salt. Fungal infections tend to be more "fluffy" like cotton. I would avoid using salt altogether. Scaleless fish are very sensitive to it and I don't think it's really necessary. What is the temp in your tank? SLOWLY raising the temp to the mid 80's and keeping it there for a couple of weeks usually takes care of Ich. Vacuuming the gravel daily with a 50% water change will clean up any spores that fall off your fish. And clean water is ALWAYS good!!
    Keep us posted and good luck.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

To be quite frank, you don't even need the salt. Just turn the temperature up to 87 degrees by raising the temperature 2 or 3 degrees at a time. Leave the temperature up there for about a week. Do 25 to 50% water changes daily with a gravel vaccuum as stated above. You don't need the salt to cure the ich and with the catfish in the tank, he needs the heat treatment as well.

7. Aggie Initiate Member

Thank you both. I'm worried now... I've read so many descriptions of fungus and ich, but I'm still not completely sure it's ich. They look like little dots, but not very many and there is one, on top of her head, that looks more like a fungus. But all the symptoms are of ich so I'm quite confused. I'll try to get a picture, it's just they are so hard to see.

Alright another question: If it WAS both ich and fungus, turning up the heat would on one hand kill the ich, but aide the fungus in growing; so would it be healthy for the fish to have fungus meds in the water to whilst heating it up?

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

How are your fish doing today? If it is ich you really need to treat the entire tank with all the inhabitants, otherwise you'd never get rid of it.

Follow the link in my signature to treat ICH naturally. That article will explain the life cycle of the parasites, explain why meds fail, and provide detailed steps on how to treat with heat.

Salt is unnecessary and should never be used with scaleless fish, catfish in your case, as the salt can kill them. Salt is an antagonist meaning that it causes the fish to produce a thicker slime coat. It is a bit like pouring salt on a paper cut.

Hope things are looking better with your fish!