SwordTail spawn log.

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by soltarianknight, Dec 4, 2012.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I decided to make a short spawn log for my swords for when the female drops(any day now).
    Here are some pics of the lady and her man.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the quality. Names are Sunny and Share.

2. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Great idea and thank you for sharing the pictures. I still think your swordtails are absolutely stunning, especially the female. I'm looking forward to reading the log!:;hi1

3. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

thanks, i am really hoping to get some more greens out of her. I want a green male.

Currently the male sword is acting weird with the female. He keeps fallowing/chasing(looks like fallowing to me) her and mimicking her swimming patterns, possibly he is trying to breed with her. He is also nipping at the gravid spot on the female and from what i have been told, that means she is close. She has been boxy for at least 2 days now.

4. Donnerjay

Yes, that sounds like she is close if not dropping already actually. The male sounds like he's starting to look for the live snacks. If you notice an uptick in your barbs's activity level then she is probably giving birth.

What are you planning for the birth process? Are you going to separate her into a breeding net?

5. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

My male guppies will still try to mate with the females, even when they are bigger than a U-Haul :p

6. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I thought she might be dropping a few times but she isn't. Everyone seems to think she is about to though, the barbs have taken more interest in her. I am not netting her i don't think. I hear it is really stressful on them and can kill them. I have a TON of watersprite on the top of the tank that can hide fry and i have been keeping the lights off for the most part to help. I can net her if need be, i have a net. I am also making a larger corral for the fry that will float in the tank.

7. Donnerjay

That sounds good. Ground cover is even better as the fry tend to lay low for a while after birth. Java moss is great. You can push some gravel aside and make tiny nooks and crannies and tunnels for them also. But if you want to try to save the fry, a turkey baster is good to catch them and put them in a breeder net within the tank. Or if you let nature take its course in the tank, just don't expect many fry to survive, if any. Keep us posted!!

8. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

9. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Still nothing. This is crazy. She just gets bigger and bigger. The male seems to have backed off today.

10. r

ryemond New Member Member

its better to separate the female until it gives birth.
    the other tank mates will tend to eat the fry in the tank, since their is less place for them to hide.
    and some swordtails also do eat their fry unexpectedly.

11. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

speaking of all the chasing, my guppy fry(male, super tiny developed gonopodium, and my fry is like 1 inch big) He chases my full grown adult female and i can see his little gonopodium moving around xD..so hilarious

12. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Not separating her. I understand that some fry will be eaten, i have a ton of plants where they can hide temporarily until i can remove them to a larger breeder net. Moving the female now would only serve to stress her out more, i do not have a big enough tank to move her too anyways. These fry were not planned for so their over all total is less important to me then the well being of the female.

13. B

BrandiW88 New Member Member

I have swardtails and platty. My male swardtail looks so much like your female! I have an orange female platty and a clear with black spots female platty. They have both had fry and I had 4 survive from the 1st batch and 5 from the second. Finding homes is the hardest part when it come to fry. Be sure you have somewhere for them to go! Also a female will be pregnant for about a month. Best of luck to you!

14. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

My swords were a bust, or at least the first batch was. She reabsorbed them. However, she is a few weeks into her second time and it is look much better. The store just got a bunch of green males in from the same supplier, all highfins and fancy tailed.

15. crackedback

crackedback Valued Member Member

Good Luck on the 2nd brood

16. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Brood 2 was a success thus far. Only have 3 fry right now that I have caught but they are healthy little devils. May have gone overboard on their tank..
    [​IMG]

Spoiled

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. crackedback

crackedback Valued Member Member

cute...nice job on the tank

18. Lilibeth_Seasong

Lilibeth_Seasong Well Known Member Member

Your babies are darling! Congrats! :)

19. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Thankyou both. I kinda want them to end up like mom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice