30 Gallon Tank Swordtail Pregnant?

LilFrutilla

Hi there! This is my first ever post on a fish forum website. I’ve been meaning to make one for a while about multiple topics and discussions, but have been busy with work and other hobbies.
However, recently I’ve noticed my female Swordtail seems to be bigger and her gravid spot is getting darker each day. I’m not sure if she is pregnant. She’s not hiding or doing any signs that would indicate she’s ready to give birth... But that does not mean she couldn’t be close. I have an area prepared in case I need to separate her immediately. Please, if she is pregnant, give me some tips!
(Apologies if the pictures are a bit blurry. Fish can be hard to photograph!)

287F0436-1DAD-4EDE-BF23-E4B134D70DED.jpeg
A66A6CA3-4552-4569-B8E5-310A95707EA0.jpeg
If she isn’t pregnant may I please know what else this could be? Perhaps constipation?

BigManAquatics

Looks preggo to me. A lot of livebearers start getting a "boxy" look to their bellies when they are getting close. Not sure with swordtails.

Upvote 0

LilFrutilla

Looks preggo to me. A lot of livebearers start getting a "boxy" look to their bellies when they are getting close. Not sure with swordtails.
Thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Look for the Livebearer pregnancy trade mark, the "boxy" shape. Here is an example of my molly. This was about 6 hours before dropping fry.
Sometimes they can just over eat & look tubby.

20210408_215155~2.jpg

Upvote 0

LilFrutilla

Look for the Livebearer pregnancy trade mark, the "boxy" shape. Here is an example of my molly. This was about 6 hours before dropping fry.
Sometimes they can just over eat & look tubby.

20210408_215155~2.jpg
Oh my gosh she’s literally a box lol. Okay! I’ll keep an eye out for that. Thanks

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Oh my gosh she’s literally a box lol. Okay! I’ll keep an eye out for that. Thanks
There are behavioral ticks too. Like hiding, or bottom sitting when close to dropping fry sometimes aggression. Yes my molly gets huge! Haha that was her 4th time. She drops anywhere from 20-40 fry almost once a month!

Upvote 0

Ir3land

Glad someone likes female swordtails too :). One tip I can give that I’ve heard is that most female livebearers are usually pregnant when you don’t even know. They can store sperm for months and decide when they want to be pregnant! Pretty crazy in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Fishboy32

she is very preggo

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kaylah
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Pregnant Molly
Replies
Views