Swordtail platy cross

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Nissile, Aug 8, 2014.

1. NissileValued MemberMember

Hi guys, any info on swordtail/platy crosses? Are the offspring healthy? Fertile? What do they look like, Swordtail or platy, what colours (will they be the same as the parents)? Any info will be appreciated :)

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 6012A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

As with a lot of hybrids it's impossible to say what they'll look like or what colours they'll be as you don't know what genes the parents are carrying.
    Swordtail/Platy crosses are fertile & will reproduce imo it's best not to keep platys & swordtails together but as hybrids are unfortunately in the trade already sometimes your females will already be crosses

3. OP
    OP
    N

NissileValued MemberMember

Would they be worth less, even if they looked normal?

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Livebearers in general don't get high prices because they're so prolific, unless you have a particularly desirable or rare colour strain, it can be hard to sell them for very much at all

5. lala29

lala29Well Known MemberMember

I had a female platy which i believe had a sword tail gene because her and my male platy managed to have a load of swordtail fry! Out of 12 babies i managed to save 5 of them had a swordtail :)

My lfs had all 12 off me in trade for a few neon tetras... Not worth much but very cute!

6. OP
    OP
    N

NissileValued MemberMember

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice