Swordtail Mother not doing well

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

My female sword has been battling lately after her pregnancy. She is looking very thin as she eats less and less. I have been alternating the foods but she wont even go for the frozen brine shrimp. She kinda hangs in the water and hides around the back.

My parameters are as follows Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-20 (hard to distinguish), pH 7.0. She seems to refuse to eat the vege flakes and only really looks to eat a tiny bit of the regular flakes and freeze dried bloodworms. I tried the garlic soaked flakes but she didn't really eat...

She also seems to be outkasted by the other female. :(

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Do you have any way to seperate her from the other fish so she can rest and not have to compete for food? Just some thoughts.
    Carol

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

We had a heat wave. Thurs 39 C, Fri 40+, Sat 43.8C, Sun 40+. Our air conditior packed it after a power failure on Friday night lasting till Sat afternoon. Filter was still working but due to no air con the tank temp rose to about 32 C (89F) even with ice in the tank and water changes.

She died on Sat evening the heat was too much. Also two babies died. Thank God its over and the tank temp is down to 26 C (79F). :'(