Swordtail issue

  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
So I had initially bought a pair of vampire swordtails for my 55 gallon that has 10 tiger Barb's and cories.

Noob mistake, one jumped out because I had no lid.

I bought a lid for it now, and the one male swordtail in there seems lonely, sometimes sulking at the bottom but is very active during feeding and hangs around during the day.

My question is, are other different looking types of swordtails able to socialize and fix this issue with swordtail?

The one I have is currently 12$ which is way too expensive. So if I could put him with some cheaper ones or even some platies as i know they're the same genus

Thanks in advance.
 

kansas

Valued Member
Messages
295
Reaction score
157
Points
53
Do you want fry? If not. don't get a female. I think they can breed with platies.
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
kansas said:
Do you want fry? If not. don't get a female. I think they can breed with platies.
I don't, but I know if I get another male swordtail they will fight. I've seen it happen with 2 of these at the LFS so much so they had to QT it.

If I can get male platies, would it solve the social problem my swordtail is having?

If so I'll do it.
 

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Messages
992
Reaction score
591
Points
103
Experience
2 years
kansas said:
Do you want fry? If not. don't get a female. I think they can breed with platies.
They will breed and most hybrid are from platys. They’re fry will also be fertile. I know with most species they prefer there own kind to hang around with but I don’t see why he’d have an issue hangin with platys.
 

kansas

Valued Member
Messages
295
Reaction score
157
Points
53
I'm a new guy, the only thing I know about this fish is from the research I did to set up my tank. I considered swordtails but they're too big for my tank.
 

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Messages
992
Reaction score
591
Points
103
Experience
2 years
Arrow1oo said:
I don't, but I know if I get another male swordtail they will fight. I've seen it happen with 2 of these at the LFS so much so they had to QT it.

If I can get male platies, would it solve the social problem my swordtail is having?

If so I'll do it.
That is true, I had 8 in my 75 ( 2 m 6f ) and the dominant male killed the other
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
CichlidJynx said:
That is true, I had 8 in my 75 ( 2 m 6f ) and the dominant male killed the other
You should see the one I have right now. He is majestic lol, so I can definitely see him having problems with other males.

If it helps I also intend on getting 1 electric blue acara very soon, should I be concerned with the swordtail/platy and acara?

I'll be getting it small so it'll have time to grow.
 

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Messages
2,428
Reaction score
953
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Arrow...

Your Swordtail is fine alone. Most Barbs are a little bit on the aggressive side and like to fin nip other fish. You can ease any stress on the lone fish by adding some floating plants. Pond weed, Water lettuce, Hornwort and Pennywort are all easy to grow plants. Plants make fish more comfortable. You really don't need to make any changes other than introducing the plants.

Old
 

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Messages
992
Reaction score
591
Points
103
Experience
2 years
Arrow1oo said:
You should see the one I have right now. He is majestic lol, so I can definitely see him having problems with other males.

If it helps I also intend on getting 1 electric blue acara very soon, should I be concerned with the swordtail/platy and acara?

I'll be getting it small so it'll have time to grow.
You shouldn’t have any problem, I have mine in with a pair of firemouth cichlids which are more aggressive. I chose the swordtails due to geographic location and they’re symbiotic relationship. The swordtails produce fry for the firemouth to eat and the firemouth let them live! ;)
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Arrow...

Your Swordtail is fine alone. Most Barbs are a little bit on the aggressive side and like to fin nip other fish. You can ease any stress on the lone fish by adding some floating plants. Pond weed, Water lettuce, Hornwort and Pennywort are all easy to grow plants. Plants make fish more comfortable. You really don't need to make any changes other than introducing the plants.

Old
I'm happy you said that actually. I'm new so plants seemed too much for me at first but now I'm interested.

As a beginner though, i was wondering if just java moss and anubia plants would be good cover, i planned on attaching them to pieces of lava rock.
Any tips on doing this?

Also, my Barb's actually are pretty peaceful, haven't seen them bother anyone.
 

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Messages
2,428
Reaction score
953
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Arrow1oo said:
I'm happy you said that actually. I'm new so plants seemed too much for me at first but now I'm interested.

As a beginner though, i was wondering if just java moss and anubia plants would be good cover, i planned on attaching them to pieces of lava rock.
Any tips on doing this?

Also, my Barb's actually are pretty peaceful, haven't seen them bother anyone.
Hello again...

Java moss and Anubias are good choices and easy to grow. I keep both and just piled enough lava rock on top of the plants to keep them on the bottom of the tank. Both grew around the rocks and into the gravel on the bottom. I think pea sized gravel is the best bottom material. It's easy to vacuum and keep clean and allows water to flow through it and provide oxygen for the bacteria and plant roots.

Old
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
oldsalt777 said:
Hello again...

Java moss and Anubias are good choices and easy to grow. I keep both and just piled enough lava rock on top of the plants to keep them on the bottom of the tank. Both grew around the rocks and into the gravel on the bottom. I think pea sized gravel is the best bottom material. It's easy to vacuum and keep clean and allows water to flow through it and provide oxygen for the bacteria and plant roots.

Old
I do have pea sized gravel so check there.

Is it possible you could send a picture or suggest a video for how to arrange the plant and rocks? I kind of get what you're saying but not fully lol. Thanks.
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,823
Reaction score
1,727
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
Arrow1oo said:
I don't, but I know if I get another male swordtail they will fight. I've seen it happen with 2 of these at the LFS so much so they had to QT it.

If I can get male platies, would it solve the social problem my swordtail is having?

If so I'll do it.
It depends on how big the tank is if those males will fight or not. But generally, multiple swordtail males in one tank doesn't have to be problem at all times to be honest. Otherwise, I would've a number of war fighting in my tanks. I also breed swordtail strains and I can assure you that in those tanks, there are multiple males. Of course, a hierarchy will occur in such a colony. But as long as each male knows his place within this hierarchy, no fighting will take place. Some young males will try to overrule an alpha male. But if one of them looses, he'll knows his place.

Overhere a short video of my Yucatan swordtails. This is a wild strain. The red ones tyou see are actually green swordtails like the rest but with their dominance they'll turn red (some just on the lower part of the body and some totally). In this case there are multiple alpha males. But the hierarchy overhere is in harmony. I do breed other swordtail strains as well.

And overhere a tank with Alvarezi swordtails (also a wild strain) and tiger limias (Limia sp. tiger)>

In both videos the males do accept eachother without any fighting.

kansas said:
I'm a new guy, the only thing I know about this fish is from the research I did to set up my tank. I considered swordtails but they're too big for my tank.
There are also dwarf swordtails available. One of them (there are multiple short sized swordtail strains) is the Xiphophorus pygmaeus.

Overhere a video of swome dwarf swordtails (Xiphophorus pygmaeus) and dwarf merry widows (Phallichthys tico).
 

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Messages
2,428
Reaction score
953
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Arrow...

You can plant Anubias, Java fern, Java moss and Banana plants during your weekly water change. I plant these when the water level is low. It makes it easier to do the planting. I just rinse off some lava rock pieces and set the plant on top of the gravel. I pile the lava rock on top of the plant, being careful not to damage the plant. The lava rocks hold the plant in place and then just refill the tank. Eventually, the plant roots grow into the bottom material.

Old
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
oldsalt777 said:
Arrow...

You can plant Anubias, Java fern, Java moss and Banana plants during your weekly water change. I plant these when the water level is low. It makes it easier to do the planting. I just rinse off some lava rock pieces and set the plant on top of the gravel. I pile the lava rock on top of the plant, being care not to damage the plant. The lava rocks hold the plant in place and then just refill the tank. Eventually, the plant roots grow into the bottom material.

Old
Sounds simple enough, thanks for the advice I will get to it asap.

Currently dealing with a bacterial bloom so once that runs its course I'll move onto the plants.
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
emeraldking said:
It depends on how big the tank is if those males will fight or not. But generally, multiple swordtail males in one tank doesn't have to be problem at all times to be honest. Otherwise, I would've a number of war fighting in my tanks. I also breed swordtail strains and I can assure you that in those tanks, there are multiple males. Of course, a hierarchy will occur in such a colony. But as long as each male knows his place within this hierarchy, no fighting will take place. Some young males will try to overrule an alpha male. But if one of them looses, he'll knows his place.

Overhere a short video of my Yucatan swordtails. This is a wild strain. The red ones tyou see are actually green swordtails like the rest but with their dominance they'll turn red (some just on the lower part of the body and some totally). In this case there are multiple alpha males. But the hierarchy overhere is in harmony. I do breed other swordtail strains as well.

And overhere a tank with Alvarezi swordtails (also a wild strain) and tiger limias (Limia sp. tiger)>

In both videos the males do accept eachother without any fighting.


There are also dwarf swordtails available. One of them (there are multiple short sized swordtail strains) is the Xiphophorus pygmaeus.

Overhere a video of swome dwarf swordtails (Xiphophorus pygmaeus) and dwarf merry widows (Phallichthys tico).
Very very very cool.
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
Old Post but emeraldking I know you said you breed swordtails.

Being that I have just 1 male vampire sword, would getting a group of platies help him with social interaction, and does the gender ratio of the platys matter.

I know they'll produce fry if I have females, but I plan to add an electric blue acara which will eat the fry (I don't want fry).
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,823
Reaction score
1,727
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
Arrow1oo said:
Old Post but emeraldking I know you said you breed swordtails.

Being that I have just 1 male vampire sword, would getting a group of platies help him with social interaction, and does the gender ratio of the platys matter.

I know they'll produce fry if I have females, but I plan to add an electric blue acara which will eat the fry (I don't want fry).
When it comes to social interaction it doesn't matter whether you'll choose males or females. But yes, swordtails and platies can crossbreed. But as you've already mentioned yourself, an acara will probably join in and will see those fry as a snack. So, nature will take care of the overpopulation.
 

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Messages
992
Reaction score
591
Points
103
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
When it comes to social interaction it doesn't matter whether you'll choose males or females. But yes, swordtails and platies can crossbreed. But as you've already mentioned yourself, an acara will probably join in and will see those fry as a snack. So, nature will take care of the overpopulation.
My swordtail and firemouth work in that relation and it works perfect
 
  • Thread starter

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
64
Points
38
emeraldking said:
When it comes to social interaction it doesn't matter whether you'll choose males or females. But yes, swordtails and platies can crossbreed. But as you've already mentioned yourself, an acara will probably join in and will see those fry as a snack. So, nature will take care of the overpopulation.
Cool, I'm planning on going the platy route. Seems the safest and most inexpensive. Since you seem well educated in the platy arena, can I keep different colored platys or will that lead to aggression problems? I know some other fish dislike different colored members. I wanted to get a few golden wagtails, red wagtails and possibly a few blue wagtails if I can get them
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom