Swordtail identification

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Reaction score
So when I started the hobby my LFS had these red swordtails that were too good to resist, but expensive at 10$ each.

because I was a noob I got 2 males and this one male killed the other, this happened twice.

I'm looking at this swordtail and trying to find it online and I'm not sure exactly what type it is, it was sold to me as a vampire swordtail but it look amazing.

Was wondering if anyone could help with identifying and also on whether I could keep more successfully as I love the look.

20200312_225538.jpg

20200312_225536.jpg

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a regular ole Longfin Swordtail, aka Hi Fin, aka Xiphorphorus helleri.

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Looks like a regular ole Longfin Swordtail, aka Hi Fin, aka Xiphorphorus helleri.
Thank lol. I did research and somehow couldn't find that name. Despite them being long fins they're particularly good with tiger Barb's surprisingly. To the point where I've seen mine chase tiger Barb's without them even trying to nip

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im guessing your TBs arent full grown. lol

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Im guessing your TBs arent full grown. lol
Not yet no lol, I'm sure a problem will arise when that happens. When it does I'll trade them in probably lol

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they aren't ripped apart that might be a viable option. lol

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
If they aren't ripped apart that might be a viable option. lol
Sounds like you've had a bad experience with them

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won't keep TB's anymore. Theyre the biggest jerk fish Ive ever kept and they always try to kill everyone else in the tank. Ive kept them in large groups and large tanks and theyve only worked out for me in species only tanks, and even then they fight. I'm dealing with the same thing with my Convicts right now. Ive given the species a few tries over the years but after these ones are gone Ill never keep TB's or Convicts again. Worse fish Ive ever owned.

Owen1986

Reaction score
Wow, this aquariums looks nice and the ecosystem work great as I see.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is not a Hi-fin, it is a Lyretail. Hi-fin is just the dorsal fin extended. Although, looking at that photo it could be a Hi-fin Lyretail, which has a broader and longer dorsal than a regular Lyretail. Normal Lyretail males cannot fertilize females due to the distorted gonopodium, although there is now a strain called King Lyretails that have males with normal gonopodiums who can.

At the moment he has enough size to scare off the barbs, but I fear that with those fins he is eventually going to be too tempting for them. Just keep an eye on them.

Arrow1oo

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
I won't keep TB's anymore. Theyre the biggest jerk fish Ive ever kept and they always try to kill everyone else in the tank. Ive kept them in large groups and large tanks and theyve only worked out for me in species only tanks, and even then they fight. I'm dealing with the same thing with my Convicts right now. Ive given the species a few tries over the years but after these ones are gone Ill never keep TB's or Convicts again. Worse fish Ive ever owned.
Oh my lol so many people have different stories
chromedome52 said:
It is not a Hi-fin, it is a Lyretail. Hi-fin is just the dorsal fin extended. Although, looking at that photo it could be a Hi-fin Lyretail, which has a broader and longer dorsal than a regular Lyretail. Normal Lyretail males cannot fertilize females due to the distorted gonopodium, although there is now a strain called King Lyretails that have males with normal gonopodiums who can.

At the moment he has enough size to scare off the barbs, but I fear that with those fins he is eventually going to be too tempting for them. Just keep an eye on them.
Will do. From the sound of it looks like I'll eventually have to trade the tigers in if I want variety. Unfortunate but seems necessary.

At least it'll open up my options as to what I could get a little

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you think you'll want to get rid of them down the road, do it now! Nobody wants a full grown TB and youll be hard pressed to get rid of them. Worse than that, a mature TB that's stunted.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is a lyretail sword...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads