Swordtail giving birth right now....

Fish4848

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone, I just noticed a fry in my tank that I think is a swordtail. A few minutes later, I found 2 more fry in the same spot. I also have a pregnant platy in the tank but my swordtail is acting weird so I think it’s her. I can’t go and get a breeder box for obvious reasons so I made one by poking holes in a plastic box. Any tips on caring for them or what else to do? A lot of my fish are harassing the swordtail too, and my angel, DG, and killifish are attacking the diy breeder box (To no Avail). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't bother putting her in a breeder box! It will only work to stress her out. If you must save fry, you can net or siphon out any fry you see. Most will do a good job of hiding if you have a lot of plants or decoration in the tank.

OP
Fish4848

Fish4848

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
update: I don’t know, but it seems that both my platy and swordtail are having the fry. some fry have the little mickeymouse on the tail like my female platy and some are pinkish like the female swordtail... so far I am up to six living fry. 4 have been eaten that I have seen by my angel, killifish and ram... I plan on giving some of the fry to my friend. I am sure there are some sill in the tank, I have lots of live plants. thanks for the tips!

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the fry of both species. Sorry for the loss of some. But that's nature of course...

OP
Fish4848

Fish4848

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yeah.... that’s nature. I managed to get ten in my little box and they are eating. I fed some crushed frozen brine shrimp.

New Threads