Swordtail Fry

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by nyless, Aug 12, 2018.

1. nyless

nylessValued MemberMember

I believe these guys are about 36 hours old
    20180811_202556.jpg20180811_202549.jpg20180811_202510.jpg

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Woohoo! Before long they will take over your tank and nobody will want to buy them and you'll end up getting a predatory fish to keep the population in check.

3. NLindsey921

NLindsey921Well Known MemberMember

Beautiful fry. What are the parents coloration?

4. OP
    OP
    nyless

Mr Bryan,

if thats the case then i will have been successful with my breeding endeavor AND that is always a good reason to get another tank for my culling fish to live in;-)

5. OP
    OP
    nyless

father is a mutt ( i have no idea of his variety he was a rescue from petco for 1$, he appears to be half white and half red...) and mother was a green swordtail. im not expecting much from the fry but it was fun to do with the kids and im looking forward to how the colony develops color wise as time goes on.

if i can talk the significant other into some grow out tanks i may try and do some selective line breeding but that seems like a lot of work as opposed to just letting the colony go and seeing what we end up with after some time.

its been fun regardless and i love the cute little guys and the way they buzz around the tank.

6. NLindsey921

Ok. I was just asking because I have baby swordtails too. Mine are the result of a neon and a brick swordtail. But they came from petsmart so they might be mixed.

7. OP
    OP
    nyless

well when you have mixed specimens i just think it makes it more interesting. all the current color varieties are mostly hybrids crossed with platy's anyways.

the fry usually show their color about 8 weeks or so after they are born. so you can start to see then what you might have.

8. NLindsey921

Hmm. Interesting mine are only a week old though so no color yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice