Swordtail for a 29 gallon cube?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nanjo4, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

I am trying to plan stocking my 29 gal cube and have been wondering about getting a male swordtail as my "big fish". Can anyone comment? The other fish I was thinking about is the pearl gourami.
    Parameters are:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Temp 79
    Ph 7.8
    Currently have 1 platy and 4 danios.
    Any advice would be welcome!

2. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Up to you, swordtail may mate with yourplaty. They can produce hybrids, though many of the swords being sold are mixes of these 2 already.

i noticeallthe fish you Named are topswimmers, good fish, but they all stay in the same place.

What about somebody at the bottom of the tank?

3. alinkWell Known MemberMember

I would seriously consider lowering your temps. Danios like it more low 70's, even into the 60's. 75 would be about the highest they would tolerate for long periods of time.

I would do a pearl gourami is those are the choices. Platy and Swordtails can hybridize. If you get the Swordtail, get one the same sex as your platy.

I would also recommend something for the bottom/middle of your tank. Some cories would go good if you had sand, so would kuhlii loaches. If you have gravel, then there are other species of catfish that would work, or you could go with a kribensis or apisto which will hang in the lower 1/2 to 1/3 of the tank.

4. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Female Swords get to 6" so a 29g cube would be too small imo. I would give one at least a metre length. A male would probably be very territorial, and terrorise the platy, I think.

5. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Yeah this is what i was getting at, except i wass thinking less about cats, more on whee you were going with the cichlids, as this is to be a centerpiece fish and lets face it corys dont do that ;)

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Agreed with hampalong, they are too big imo.

7. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, if youre asking for an oppinion...noone seems to be a fan of the sword, but for apparently 3 different reasons.

8. Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

Thanks so much for all your replies! Looks like I have some more thinking about this. Ok, sounds like the swordtail isn't a very good idea. Back to the drawing board!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

What about a krib? Then you'd cover both the centerpiece criteria and the bottom dweller criteria. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

That or apisto

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice